Author Topic: clutch Questions  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Sora

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
clutch Questions
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
I have a Bridgestone 175 duel twin and was wondering if there might be a problem with the clutch. When I put it in first gear and then try to change gears it does not feel like the clutch is doing anything. I took off the side cover to see if something was not attached correctly but it all look fine.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:38:31 PM by Sora »

Offline hardy

Re: clutch Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
Hi sora,

Not 100% sure what you are asking, are you worried the clutch is not releasing or the gearbox is not shifting?

Ryan

Offline Sora

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 11:41:07 PM »
It feels like the clutch is not doing anything even though I can see the cord connected to it move.

Offline hardy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
Try taking the side cover off and verify the thrust plate is moving. Perhaps the clutch plates are gummed up and stuck together?

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
           To check the clutch is freeing, select fifth gear, pull the clutch and see if you can turn the back wheel - should turn easily.

Alternatively, with the bike still in gear, press the rear brake, pull the clutch and see if you can kick the engine over. If not the clutch is sticking.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Sye

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
Hi Sora,

Is the engine running when you do this? If so, how do you engage 1st gear? If not, then this is normal as there has to be some rotation in the gearbox for the gears to mesh. Try turning the rear wheel by hand whilst engaging the gears to check the box.

If you have rebuilt the motor check that you have installed the 6 x 10mm dowel clutch push rod otherwise the clutch won't work.
Be nice - feel good

Offline Sora

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
I'm working on getting the bike running but before I did I wanted to abbess this potential problem before I broke something.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
          Just reread your original post. Let's go back to basics, do you feel any resistance when the clutch lever is pulled.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Sora

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »
Yes I do feel resistance

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
      OK, can you select all gears while turning back wheel to line up gear dogs, as Sye's post above
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Sora

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »
no I can't turn to all the gears. I can get the highest gear and lowest gear everything that is in between I can't seem to turn to.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
        There may be a problem with the gear change mechanism but try this. Press the gear lever  down and while maintaining downward pressure on the pedal, ease the back wheel backwards and forwards. You should feel the gear engage. Release the pedal and do the same for the next gear. Can you now find all the gears.
        Also check the lever on the left side of the engine is in the fully forward or back position.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Sora

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »
I can change through all the gears now

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:55:19 AM »
        That's great news, you have now proved the gearbox and selector mechanism work  fine ( and saved yourself a full engine strip down)
      Next thing is to prove the clutch is freeing. Two things you can try
              1) Select fifth gear, pull the clutch and see if you can turn the back wheel, without the engine crankshaft turning over - should turn easily.

or        2) With the bike still in gear, press the rear brake (to stop the wheel turning) , pull the clutch and see if you can kick the engine over. Don't put too much weight on the kickstart, it can break something. .

If neither of  these methods work, this confirms the clutch plates are sticking or it needs adjustment. Relatively easy to fix.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:09:54 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Sora

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 08:29:04 AM »
the engine still turn over when it is in fifth gear and the clutch in. Also, I haven't changed the transmission oil from when I got the bike. Should I try changing that before I start taking the clutch apart.

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
Sounds like the clutch plates are "stuck" together. I had the same issue with my 175.

Take the oil fill cap off. You can see the edges of the clutch tabs thru the oil fill hole. VERY CAREFULLY nudge the tabs with a long screwdriver (or similar item) while squeezing the clutch lever. You will need to turn the crank to spin the clutch all the way around and nudge each clutch tab.

I highly recommend that you change the oil first and DO NOT PRY the clutch tabs. If they aren't loose by light pressure, you will need to disassemble the clutch basket and clean up whatever goop you have that's holding everything together.

Dan
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »
I've had clutches stuck like that before on various brands, even just after one winter of storage. Sometimes, putting the transmission in 1st, then sitting on the bike and rocking it back and forth hard will break the plates loose. If that doesn't work, just firing the engine in neutral, giving it a little throttle and jamming it into gear will break them loose.  You run the risk of breaking something and causing more problems, of course, so you have to use caution on how much to rev the engine.

Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
I tried the jamb it into gear approach with a Honda GL1200 once, took out a garage door post in nothing flat! 

Amazingly no damage to me or the bike, but the garage door post required "significant remodeling".

Guess I had too much throttle!!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »
         If you can't get the clutch to free by one of the above methods, you will have to drain the oil to have a look at the clutch. Might as well refill with fresh oil at that time.
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)