Author Topic: GTR seat covers  (Read 19325 times)

ridered

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: GTR seat covers
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »
Paul
I used the Pit Replica cover for my GTR and it fit without using heat. What I did do was cover the seat foam first with some plastic from a heavy duty trash bag. My thoughts on that was the cover would slide over the slick plastic better than the rough foam. Also it may extend the life of your foam.
Mike

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
Does anyone have some pictures of the Pit Replica GTR seat covers on their bike? I think I'm going to try one but I was just curious.

I might be able to get some new seat foam from the auto interior repair guy that comes out to where I work. It has to be some pretty firm and dense stuff. I like the plastic bag idea, anything that helps!
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
I installed a Pit Replica seat, as I couldn't find anything I thought looked better, and you centainly can't beat the price.  It wasn't difficult to install, just go carefully.   I did stuff fiber pillow stuffing in the sewn bead at the front edge where it butts up against the tank.  On the originals it's filled with something like foam, but on the the Pit Replica it was just flat, no stuffing as I received it.  The buttons were a bit flat, so I purchased buttons from Seriusconic (HONDA Z50 CT70 CT90 SEAT COVER CHROME BUTTONS RIVETS) http://www.siriusconinc.com/product.php?parent_id=36&start=50

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 10:25:11 PM »
Well, you talked me into it.... that looks nice. I do have some connections in the upholstery biz so i should be able to handle this. It looks like the only game in town and its priced right, my seats are kind of, well, petrified  ;D

Hey, thanks for the pics!
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

deisher6

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
For what it is worth, I bought one of the replica seat covers for my GTO.  It took a couple of weeks to get here.  I had an upholstery man install it.  It looks good.  Total costs about $150.  I am satisfied.

regards charlie

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
I have some additional questions on recovering the seat and my search on this topic turned up several threads. Since this one has had the most activity, I thought I'd try to keep as much related information in it.

Let's start this off with the assumption that my foam is in great condition and needs nothing. However, I would like to powder coat the seat pan and will have to remove the foam and then reinstall it before doing the cover.

1. Has anyone done this and is it easy/hard to remove the foam without damaging it?
2. If you have removed it, what adhesive did you use to re-secure it to the pan?
3. If the pan is powder coated, will the coating crack/break on the mounting tabs when they are bent back to secure
    the cover?

That's all for now, thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike   
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

ziggy stardust

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
Pit Replica, perfect fit and not too hard to do. :) Had it within a week of ordering.  :o

Z

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
Pit Replica, perfect fit and not too hard to do. :) Had it within a week of ordering.  :o

Z

Thanks Ziggy, I was already sold on the Pit Replica covers (at least until today) but I was more curious with.... is it difficult to remove the foam and re-secure it to the pan.

Also, today looking at feedback for Pit Replica, I found this reply from earlier this month (see below) that got my attention and was wondering what the difference in material was and should I wait to see what happens.

"TC, your top cover has changed. Please return to the previously used material."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:25:13 AM by moonpup »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 12:13:22 PM »
Moonpup, my seat base and foam were good so no need for removal but even if it were removed I can't see a problem putting it back probably using double sided tape or contact adhesive if necessary. I did put a cover of clear plastic over the foam where the original had slipped and torn.

"TC, your top cover has changed. Please return to the previously used material."  Don't know what this refers too but the suedette of the PR cover is not exactly the same as the original that I have but real close, transforms the seat definitely.

They seem quite a professional company, ask them what this refers too.

Z

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »
Thanks again for your response Z,

The person that left the feedback with that reply on Jan 7, 2012 appears to have purchased one earlier and left a positive feedback on Sept. 29 that said.... "thanks arrived today as described AAAAAAAAAA+++++++++="

Apparently sometime between those 2 purchases, the top material changed and he made note of it. I sent him an email via eBay and asked if he could fill me in with the more details. I'll post his reply if he gives me one.

Has anyone here noticed a change?

BTW: I can only hope my seat looks as good as yours when I'm done!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:31:07 PM by moonpup »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
While I was waiting for more feedback I decided to take the cover off one of my seats and see what's under there.  ;D

For anyone hasn't done this yet, this is what you'll find.

Offline edward

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Hey Guys,
              I just ordered a Pitreplica seat cover off Fee-Bay. It looks like a perfect fit. When I removed the old seat cover I noticed that the old foam had a layer of thin plastic sheeting all over it. I guess to keep water from soaking it when it rains. My seat frame is in good condition but rusty and the small spikes (kind of triangle shaped)are still there (most of them) but, I still intend on taking it to a good upholstery place to get the new cover put on. Hopefully they will replace the small spikes.
  Well that's my 2 cents worth..... that ya didn't ask for.  :P

reed

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Moonpup
I have 2 seat covers coming 1 for my TS 250 Suzuki and i have a spare seat for a GTR  which i have had powder coated
The seat base so i will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »
i had to use a jet fire heater to get enough to stretch it was very tight on the175

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »
..... snip......

The person that left the feedback with that reply on Jan 7, 2012 appears to have purchased one earlier and left a positive feedback on Sept. 29 that said.... "thanks arrived today as described AAAAAAAAAA+++++++++="

Apparently sometime between those 2 purchases, the top material changed and he made note of it. I sent him an email via eBay and asked if he could fill me in with the more details. I'll post his reply if he gives me one.

Has anyone here noticed a change?

With further investigation on my part, I'm pretty much positive that the person that left that feedback about a change in the top cover is indeed a member here. Maybe he hasn't read my email I sent via eBay or seen these recent posts, but if he does, it sure would be nice to find out what the difference in the top cover is that makes him want the old style back.   ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:21:24 PM by moonpup »

Sno Jet

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
I would be curious to see a picture. 

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
Guy's the material has changed thru several covers that I have purchased from them. TC took back the cover I refered to and sent me another. The top cover had become more of a fuzzy type material instead of the original smooth look. No need to get into a big discussion over it because they are always changing. The replacement was still different than what I had received before but they all work.
Later Mike

Sno Jet

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
Thats good news.  You obviously were not happy with the other one though.  Could you show us a picture of the new one up close so that everyone knows what to expect.  The more people that buy them the better for everyone.

Offline Mike Anderson

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
Harry,
It is not here. I have it at my upholstery shop. They may be finished this week, he is doing one with the old style covers and the latest cover I got from TC right now. When they are finished I will post pictures.
Later Mike

Sno Jet

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Thanks Mike.  If anyone has any concerns, they should contact Pit replica before purchasing and ask.  I have heard very good things about this company. 

They want to sell and we want to buy so I think everything will be fine.  Communication is good.

Gallery

Views:4492
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:5657
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:5930
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:5934
Comments (0)