Author Topic: GTR seat covers  (Read 19311 times)

ridered

• Trade Count: (0)
GTR seat covers
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:37:17 PM »
Has anyone purchased and installed one of the Pit Replica seat covers on EBay yet. I'm wanting to know about the quality and fit before I purchase one.
Thanks
Mike

Offline Mike Anderson

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: GTR seat covers
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
Hi Mike,
I have used the covers from both of the current suppliers. As far as fit goes there is not a lot of difference. Both fit pretty well depending upon how good your seat is and whether or not you have a good upholstery shop. The pit replica cover is nice because it has the logo already on it, but the other cover is a little heavier and probably will last longer if you plan to ride much. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps you a little in your decision process.
Later Mike Anderson

reed

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
Mike
That seat cover you put on the Bridgestone 350GTR you sold me was a great job!
Its like you say a little heavier and fits the seat pan too.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Hi Mike,
I have used the covers from both of the current suppliers. As far as fit goes there is not a lot of difference. Both fit pretty well depending upon how good your seat is and whether or not you have a good upholstery shop. The pit replica cover is nice because it has the logo already on it, but the other cover is a little heavier and probably will last longer if you plan to ride much. Just my two cents worth. Hope it helps you a little in your decision process.
Later Mike Anderson

I put on one of the Pit Replica covers. It fit well and the rivets worked well, too.  I had to rebuild the pan by welding new strips along the edge with the pointed tabs to hold the cover and it all came out OK. I did replace the plastic bead with wire, though.

Who is the other current supplier?
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

ridered

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
I Thank everyone for the info looks like I'll be recovering my seat with the Pit Replica. I will post some pics when I get it done. This will be my first try at covering a seat as I usually leave that to the professionals.
Thanks Again
Mike

paul25g

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »
Mike,

What are you using for new foam?  Thanks!

Paul

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »
I have a cover from Pit Replica, I am happy with it, however the hump on back is a bit small. 

Jeff Bar

ridered

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »
This is to answer Pauls question. I have a seat that has an original cover with no tears so the foam is in great shape, the problem with the seat is it has the large Bridgestone letters from the later models. I will use that cover on the nasty seat that came with my bike which will need some foam repair. It will be awhile before I get to that project but when I do I will post the foam I use.

bridgestonesforever

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
There is a man on this board from Japan, who does seats, I can not remember his name. Luke

paul25g

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:55 AM »
Thanks Mike,

The reason I was asking, I've got a 175 Dual Twin.  The seat cover is perfect but the foam underneath in crumbling and needs replaced.  Just considering whether I can find foam to replace it myself or if I need to deal with an upholstery place.  Thanks again!

Paul

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
I haven't done it, but was wondering if carpet pad would work?  Just use contact cement to glue together layers.  Would be really cheap...
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

ridered

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
The foam used for seats is special it's really dense. Any upholstery shop would have it then you can carve it yourself and reinstall your cover. Another option is just about all the old Honda seats use the same type of foam they are pretty available. Company's like Cool Retro reproduce complete seats contact them and see if they will sell you a chunk of the foam they use. If its just the top layer that's deteriorating cut the foam down to where its good and glue a layer of new foam the thickness that you removed. There are alot of options but when it comes to repairing seat foam the best option is to let the professionals do it.
Good Luck when you finish it will be worth the trouble.

rocketman

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »
Karl, I used some carpet pad to rebuild the existing foam core on the last seat I covered for a JT1-60 Yamaha. It worked real well in that instance. It comes in different densitys and thicknesses. Some is pretty stiff. I used two different types,one to repair a rotted section of the core itself,and the lesser to pad the entire surface before installing the new cover. You have to mind where your seems are,as they can protrude if not in alignment with the sewn sections of the cover. Test fit twice before you glue once!  Thanks,Mark.

Offline Bridgestone Man

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:38:30 AM »
Sounds like this seat foam is a big issue, has anyone tried a large upholster  supply business?

These guys going Honda seats are getting the product somewhere.

Sam Keys

paul25g

Re: rebuilding seats
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
Hey guys,

Getting ready to redo my 175 seat as the foam is shot.  Trying to remove the chrome strip along the bottom of the seat, there are 7 nuts on the inside of the seat that hold it on.  The problem is that the small bolt they are on spins when trying to loosen them.  Anyone else have this problem and any ideas how to get it off without destroying it?  Thanks!

Paul

whitegto

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
if the nuts are spinning you wont get em undone, just cut with daigonals and simply replace em with new nuts and bolts.  John

paul25g

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Thanks John!

I buzzed them off with the Dremel and found some replacements at the hardware store....that was the only way they were going to come off, thanks again!

Paul

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »
I just got a Pit Replica seat cover for my 350, It's OK but it off center, I mean when fitted so words Bridgestone is on side correct, then the top seating surface is too far to the right, I will contact them and see what they have to say.  Jeff

paul25g

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
Got a new seat cover for my 175 from Pit Replica.....any words of wisdom about the installation process?  Hairdryer or heatgun necessary?  Any help is appreciated...thanks guys!

Paul

paul25g

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Just to clarify...I've got the cover on over the foam....will be a snug fit.  Just looking for pointers for final stretching/attachment, thanks!

Paul

Gallery

Views:321
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1454
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1784
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1850