Author Topic: GTO -- a bit of expert advice needed  (Read 5332 times)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
GTO -- a bit of expert advice needed
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:13:41 AM »
             New to the GTO, apart from some minor damage to both inner, crankcase covers (got spares) she is in very nice, mainly original condition. I am very pleased with her but have a few questions that can't be resolved from the manuals.
 Petrol Tank 
   Sits very low on the frame at the front where it wraps over the top tube, some sign of fretting. Nothing appears bent, may just be production tolerances, what's the tank gap on yours?.

Oil Tank
    There is only a few thou clearance between the oil tank cap and the petrol tank side. Oil tank has a distinct lean to the right, looks like top mounts may have been nudged over and could stress the plastic on the tank. May have a minor leak. I can see the bottom mount (part 4, parts book) is asymmetric, turning it through 180 degs should shift the tank bottom to the right. Top mount, should the forked upper bracket (part 5) sit over the battery box web on the frame or is it offset to the right. Can't quite suss out the washer (15) arrangement on through-bolt (13) seems to be too many.

High Pipes ----- Yehaa!! they don't arf look good, I'm becoming a convert, Mike ;D :o 8)
   I believe the pipes don't both have the same offset from the frame and want to check they are correct. Which rear hanger has the biggest offset ?

Unfortunately, the engine 2606 isn't original, never mind still good. Low 8000s crankcases, anyone ?

I'm sure there will be more questions,    Brian
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:34:21 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
Re: GTO -- a bit of expert advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »

Petrol Tank 
   Sits very low on the frame at the front where it wraps over the top tube, some sign of fretting. Nothing appears bent, may just be production tolerances, what's the tank gap on yours?.

Hi Brian, I'll start with the Petrol thingy...  :o

The front of my tank has about a 3/4 inch gap between the tank & frame.  Have you checked to insure the front rubber tank bushings are in place?
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »

Oil Tank
    There is only a few thou clearance between the oil tank cap and the petrol tank side. Oil tank has a distinct lean to the right, looks like top mounts may have been nudged over and could stress the plastic on the tank. May have a minor leak. I can see the bottom mount (part 4, parts book) is asymmetric, turning it through 180 degs should shift the tank bottom to the right. Top mount, should the forked upper bracket (part 5) sit over the battery box web on the frame or is it offset to the right. Can't quite suss out the washer (15) arrangement on through-bolt (13) seems to be too many.

You're just going to have to play with the bottom mount as best as you can. It really only goes on one way, but it appears it can swivel a bit R. to L., it will not work if flipped/turned 180 degs.

The forked upper mount straddles its battery attachment point and has 1 bolt, 1 washer & 1 nut.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:07:52 PM by moonpup »

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
It is watt it is ??????   and there are NO other tanks out there..... I have a GTO allso ;D   Treat her like a fine woman... they all do have there problems.. :P

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »

High Pipes ----- Yehaa!! they don't arf look good, I'm becoming a convert, Mike ;D :o 8)
   I believe the pipes don't both have the same offset from the frame and want to check they are correct. Which rear hanger has the biggest offset ?

++++ see below for corrected info.+++++
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:17:08 AM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
          Mike, thanks for excellent, well lit photos, as usual, gives me something to compare with.

Nice, laid back response from Packrat, love it. Voice of experience ?? ;D :D ;D I'll say no more, she will be well taken care of !  :o

Hopefully a few others may chip in, particularly on the exhaust hangers. Sure I've seen photo somewhere with the comment they are not quite equal. Can't find it on this site or magazines...............................Just taken them both off to compare,  no obvious difference but the right one has an 'R' stamped on it at the frame end. No stamp on the other one. Could explain the two part numbers but still baffled, if not exhausted.  lol                                  Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 10:57:37 AM »
Thanks Brian, I've learned something new today and in addition I'm pretty sure I need to correct my earlier findings on the hangers/stays.

I never paid any attention nor remembered any stampings on the hangers, so I took mine off today for a closer exam and lo & behold, I found both a L. & R. stamp on them. I also noticed when holding them side by side, the right hanger IS a tad bit longer.

The 2 comparison pics below are my attempt to document the difference. The one on paper doesn't show the diff. as noticeably as the one where I held them up. I don't know which is more accurate..... but there is a difference.

Guess the 2 part numbers are there for a reason.  ::)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:00:38 PM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 05:55:05 PM »
     Mike,   If there is a difference it's only a millimetre or two. The end angle bends seem the same. My 'L' mark may be under a rust patch, did wire brush but couldn't see.  Was expecting a 5-10mm variation in length or offset.

Still odd, did BS attention to detail really warrant the production of two, factory marked, separate items ?????????

Are we missing something obvious ??????                                             Brian.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:58:57 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »
I went back out to the garage today and took a look at the L & R mounting points on the frame. As best as I could measure, it appeared the right one was ever so slightly closer to the front of the bike than the left side, which would've then been compensated by the offset on the right stay.

This is what I think today.  Tomorrow.... I might change my mind!   ;D  ;)  ;D

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
                Let's put this one on the back burner. In reality, I would now have no qualms about interchanging the hangers. IE would buy a left if I needed a right and vice versa.

The low tank issue is definitely production variations, the GTO frame mount tube is 5mm lower that on a GTR I have. Certainly don't want the tank fretting and will have to mod the rubbers to give some clearance.. Both my GTRs have about 10mm gap under tank front. The build quality on this later frame is not as good as the  earlier GTRs but that's another can of worms and page in BS history.

Will play with the oil tank and try to shunt it over, as you suggest. Will also see if an alternative pet tank makes any difference. All good fun. Mike, many thanks for your assistance,  should be more muck under those finger nails.  ;D ;) ;D
               Brian.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:26:26 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »

should be more muck under those finger nails.  ;D ;) ;D
               Brian.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
                Scrub-a-dub-dub ;D............. must get one of those.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »
          Guys,   Another ramble, hope I'm not boring you. :-\

Heatwave today, 8 deg C, got out in the shop. Whipped the oil tank off, could see from the clamp bracket marks on the frame downtube, the tank had always been skewed to the right. It was built like that. Put a bit more twist on the top forked bracket and now have a working 3-4mm clearance on the tank cap.

Reason for issue, the frame lug that supports the front of the battery box (and oil tank top bracket) , was welded well off the tube centre to the left. They even had to bend the right hand side of the battery box outwards to line it up with the tool box pressing. That build quality thing again. Now happy with the tank.

Good news, the previous owner did a good job on the oil tubes, nicely run, just forgot to trap the 3 hole grommet between the cases before he put the side cover on. Might be able to push it in.

The new front sprocket chunners? a bit when the wheel is spun. Will check wheel alignment. Chain is hitting its guard at one point, must be the link. That would clatter like hell if I used the bike :o.   Hopefully, just needs the brackets tweaking.

Never was completely happy with the cable runs on the 350 (even 48 years ago), previous owner had thrown them on to get the bike together for sale.  Have rerun them all, putting the splitters back between the coils with the clutch cable underneath. The controls all now work nicely. The cables now have no sharp bends and are visually balanced at the front end. The choke lever was pointing forwards when I got the bike !  :o Yep, it can be done ;D
         Still have to 'deal' with a pinch point due to the front frame bracing webs standing out from the frame (unlike the GTR where they are nicely tucked in between the tubes). QC?.  Then have to juggle the tank back on (another 48y memory) and check the controls are still sweet. Cables now curve in front of the instruments and don't obscure them, and are as shown in some of the early GTR advertising pictures. Are they as BS intended, I don't know but will post some guide notes when I've finished and it all works out.   

The main bugbear is the tacho cable, (think it's a repro) seems a tad too long, (42'') on GTO. It is pushed forward a bit by the repositioned oil tank and is forced against the bottom fork yoke (not good). Have kept it all on the right side. Mike Welland (rider red) says in his 'Tech Tip'guide notes to route this cable to the left of the steering head. That would absorb length but result in a very tight bend in the cable to get it back to the tacho head. How is it run on your bike? Anyone ?

That's where I'm up to, still no real horror stories. Do I strip it down and check it all over ?   Tempted but NO, don't need another one spread out on the garage floor  :'(.  Will get it running shortly,  MOT'd, UK registered and back on the road, to enjoy in the warmer weather. Be the first two wheel ride for 44 years. Then come back to it when a GTR is running.

Brian. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:53:02 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...
This thread is so boring! ;D ::) ;D ;)...lol

Kidding, but couldn't resist...the 3 hole grommet can be pushed in. It'll just take some lube and determination. I expect the GTO frames were "made from" the GTR part, so all the mods pretty much had to be done in a one off fashion. Glad to hear you're making progress, Brian.
...bert 

Offline old smokey

GTO
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
44 years off 2 wheeled rides? That should add to the excitement. Have fun!
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:58 AM »

....snip....  I expect the GTO frames were "made from" the GTR part, so all the mods pretty much had to be done in a one off fashion.   ....snip....

Just got back from the garage after comparing a GTR and a GTO frame side by side and could find absolutely no differences between the two.  ( if I missed something, feel free to let me know)

I might expect the "build quality" to suffer a bit in the early GTO frames as a result of the year long hiatus between the end of production on the GTR and the start of the new GTO's, but you'd think they would have gotten the cobwebs out by the time Brian's 1971 GTO went through the line.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »
    Bert, new keyboard required, your Z is jammed, lol  but point taken ! I'm on a high with the GTO, get carried away sometimes.

Smokey, thanks , will take it in nice easy stages and really looking forward to it, 19 again ! ;D

Mike, I 'm sure you are right, can't see any difference myself. Frames are identical and will have used the same jigs and tools. (Bert) All the mods for the GTO, E.G. high pipes and oil tank were achieved with screw clamped attachment brackets, not their previous attention to detail.    Speculation:- Not because they wanted to keep the option to build later GTRs but to simply save production costs and their heart wasn't really really in it. Hence the lower build quality' in places. ( Let's just get them finished and end production ) Had it not been for Rockford's, would the last 3000, 350s have ever been built ? but glad they were.
         Brian. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:29:16 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1692
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)