Author Topic: EvapoRust Trial & Questions  (Read 11826 times)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
EvapoRust Trial & Questions
« on: January 01, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Since I'd heard great things about this product both from members here and various google searches, I decided to give it a shot. Based on my results, you won't hear anything negative from me about this stuff.

I thought I'd test it on the gas cap off my GTO parts bike. As you can see in the pictures below, it works as promised.  ;D ( the cap next to it is off the other bike and has less rust than the one I tested)

The second picture shows the resulting pitted surface with several pin holes. If this cap were sent off to get chromed, would the underside be chromed or zinc'ed and would that process cover up these flaws/blemishes and even if it did, the bigger question has to be, is this even worth it?

I have no idea how much they'd want for chroming one of these, but I do know a NOS cap is around $60.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:10:40 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Steve S.

Re: Evapo-Rust Trial & Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
It's not worth re-chroming.  Just get this cap.  http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main  Go to Decals, Bridgestone, and then Dual Twin.

Hope this helped.

Steve

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
Thanks Steve,

You're probably right about about it not being worth it to re-chrome.

And while I like the price of the replica cap, my goal is to keep it "original/stock" as much as I can. So I guess I'll be getting the more expensive NOS cap. It's just one of these things where you bite the bullet and move on.  ::)

Hopefully, the link you provided will be able to help someone else who might not be as picky as I am.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:50:56 PM by moonpup »

reed

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Moonpup
I used milkstone for my tanks and it worked well and its about 12.00  and now i always keep mikestone on my shelf in the workshop!
Like you i like original parts on my Bridgestones etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

Sno Jet

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
I say buy a new cap and it should last you for a long time.  You will probably be dead and buried before the bike needs another one.  If you are lucky enough to live another 30 yrs, thats only $2 a year!!  Not all that bad.

I keep hearing how great "white vinegar" works for cleaning tanks.  The acid content is what does the work.  I am thinking about going down to "Sams Club" and get a jug.

Any first hand experience that someone would like to share?

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
After checking out youtube and other net searches on rust removal, I found there's a ton of different methods & products one can use. Most were products that had either phosphoric acid or some other form of acid in it Everything from toilet bowl cleaners, vinegars and the "Milkstone" type products.

For me, the acids had issues I wanted to avoid or just didn't care for. Like possible health issues with contact to skin or eyes, special disposal needs, possible paint damage, "eats" metal, ect., ect., ect. Plus it looked to me like it left a lot of really dark spots on the metal.

I chose Evapo-Rust because these were non-issues with this product. Sure it costs more than the other stuff, but it can be used over and over again.  ;D

Steve S.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
I clean all my tanks out with white vinegar.  It works, and it's cheap!  Just fill tank to the brim with the white vinegar and let set for about 5-6 days.  Rinse with plenty of water and baking soda.  The baking soda will neutralize the vinegar so it will not continue to work.  The final step I use is to rinse the tank with a bottle of rubbing alcohol (also very cheap) to evaporate any remaining water in the tank.  I then coat the inside of the tank with a light oil, such as WD-40.
This method has always worked, and worked very, very well.  Any corrosion or rust has always been eliminated by the white vinegar.  Try it, you won't be disappointed.
Hope this helped.

Steve

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »
when i was a young single man  i cooked a chilly   dish in a rusty wok it had chilly s around 20 hot ones onions garlic some herbs and spices and canned tomatoes and beans , that was the only food in the house at the time.when it came time for cleaning it i wiped the left overs off and there wasn't a trace of rust at all it was clean almost shinny bare metal .

i am not recommending this process  at all  for any sort of parts cleaning especially for the inside of a gas tank !

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
Well we do have plenty of chili's down here in S. Texas!  :D  However, I'm pretty sure it was the acid in the tomato's that did most of the work.

ztnoo

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
yep i think that's what it would be  if it cleans the rust off like that imagine what it does for the stomach

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
How much baking soda per gallon of water? Thanks in advance.

Steve S.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
I've really never measured the baking soda.  I usually get about 6 tank rinses out of an average size box of baking soda.  Just try to divide in in equal amounts for each rinse.  You really can't use too much or too little.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
Re: EvapoRust Trial & Questions
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 01:58:50 PM »
I discovered a nice surprise this past week when I decided to clean up a couple petcocks I had laying around.

They each had a tiny bit of corrosion on the metal pieces, so I tossed them in a container of Evaporust, thinking it'd have no effect on the aluminum... just take care of the rusty bits.

When I took them out, I was happy to see that not only was the corrosion gone, but that it had left the aluminum nice and clean with a kind of satin finish to them.

Then, when using a small soft brass brush to clean up the metal bits, I noticed that it was also polishing up the aluminum body. I hadn't expected that.  ;D  I left the second one as is with the satin finish.

Here's a pic of the results it had on the fuel bowls.....

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 02:36:15 PM »
Hmmm....I've been a devoted Evaporust fan for a long time, but had no idea it would clean aluminum. I guess a chelating agent would need to be mildly acidic to get the reaction going. Nice catch Moonpup! Will have to give this a try...
...bert

I just did a little research and it appears the active ingredient in Evaporust is EDTA: Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (or ethylenediaminetetraacetate). A synthetic amino acid (or acid salt) that acts as a chelating agent for many divalent metal ions. This includes iron (Fe^2+) found in rust and apparently, based on Moonpup's observations, some component of the alloy used to make BS petcocks (unknown, likely suspects are zinc (Zn^2+)and magnesium (Mg^2+)).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:50:16 PM by slawsonb »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
 Hi all,
          Have read any number of US posts saying how good Evaporust is. Would cost about $50 here in the UK so looked for something similar here.
   Found this product called 'Deox-C' from Bilt Hamber Labs which is the same stuff.    http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c
   Costs about £15 delivered for a 1KG tub which makes up to 20 litres of solution.  Used it at 10% dilution. Great stuff, it works a treat, better if kept warm. Totally non-toxic put it down the drain when it goes black.

Does say on the tub, 'Do not use on zinc, lead or tin based alloys' and I read on another forum that it can be used on aluminium type alloys but don't have the solution too hot or it can attack the metal. Will try it on a BS petcock which has a steel union nut and let you know how it goes. 

Great piece of research Bert, ( I'll take your word for that  :D ;D :D)                               Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
As they say, Google is your friend! ;D
...bert

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 10:47:19 PM »
I would be washing the parts in soapy water after

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
I would be washing the parts in soapy water after

Good point Coxy and that was done with these. Better safe than sorry.

Thought I'd also take this opportunity to clarify that when I mentioned how "it left the aluminum nice and clean", I meant staining & discoloration of the aluminum from 40 years of exposure.

It's not going to get rid of the grease and grime. Just like any part you want evaporust to work on, that mess has to be removed first as per the products instructions. I gave them a good scrubbing with WD-40, followed by soap and hot water and then let them sit in the evaporust till they were ready. They were then given the final cleaning with hot soapy water.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
  As promised above, I dipped a fuel tap that had quite a bit of rust on it's steel union nut. Wire brushed the nut first but couldn't get into the gap next to the alloy body. Can't believe the result, rust gone, alloy really cleaned up. Dipped for about 10 mins only, the inside of the tap and filter bowl was really fizzing. Deox-c or Evaporust does seem to have an affinity for aluminium corrosion. Might try it on some cylinder heads.
  Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1694
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)