Author Topic: CAN I?  (Read 5478 times)

a.p.s.

• Trade Count: (0)
CAN I?
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
Can I get rid of the generator and change it out to a more modern style ignition system?

I know points can sometimes be a real pain in the Ars, and i would like to run some sort of newer electronic ignition.
Has anyone pulled this off yet and if so can you give help as to how to do it?
thanks

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: CAN I?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:04:37 AM »
i have seen a race bike on the internet i think it was in Pakistan with an electronic ignition and i have been investigating this for the 350 .i went to a shop called jaycar (this is in Australia) they have kits you could adapt and with other kits eg regulator rectifier  you could do away with the old system totally apart from the dynamo  .to do this all you have to be is a electronic genius .   

a.p.s.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Ok thanks I am pretty good with electronics and have an idea which direction I am going to go I found a compufire adjustablew ignition that I think I can adapt to this system and do away with the points. I will see how this works and keep you all posted on how this goes.
Jim

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »
I really don't think it would be that hard. The 350's look to be a 180 degree crank and I'll bet the 200's and 175's are too, so if you look at the points plate you simply have two sets of points 180 degrees apart. Unlike a 4 stroke engine, you have no "wasted" spark. I'll bet something like a Boyer would work, or any ignition you could set up 180 degrees apart to replace the points.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the SR Racers have an empty generator and just the ignition? (A constant loss setup just running off of the battery). I don't know if you are racing or what, but you could do something like that.

Most of us have good luck with the original points and coil setup so we don't mess with it too much, but that doesn't mean that something couldn't be made to fit.

Bridgestone put a lot of thought into isolating the points from the crankshaft and using a "hot" 2 coil setup. It is reliable and capable of running up past the rpm's that this engine can make. This ain't like an old British bike or a Harley, this setup is trick and actually works. They still need to be adjusted however.
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
You could even use something like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=electronic+ignition+conversion+kit&cp=34&pq=electronic+ignition+conversion+kit&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=619&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10210215250304639665&sa=X&ei=Vrn6TaaRJuXV0QHbg629Aw&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

It is the old tried and true Pertronix, used on millions of old cars. All you would have to do is modify the rotor to use just two magnets 180 degrees apart, or make your own rotor to fit the Bridgestone generator shaft. Plus... they are cheap... ;D

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »
Here's more  :D

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

It might be kind of a fun project to get something to work in there, all you can do is blow it up, right??  ;D

a.p.s.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
Totally for about 125.00 I can pull this off so eaisily I think im going to try this on and I will let you all know how things go!!
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

Offline bsracer

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
This has not been tested yet and I've set it up on an early half speed motor.

paul

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
Here's my conversion using Dyna S components on a half-speed alternator.  It would be easier on a full-speed alternator with the triggers mounted 180 Deg apart or just use one trigger and a double-ended coil and a wasted spark.  However, Paul's conversion with the Pertronix is still the simplest and cleanest conversion I've seen yet.

Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

a.p.s.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
I want to get rid of the generator took it apart today and think i can get a charging coil off or an 80 or something and make it run without a battery as well.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:14 PM »
You're going to a lot of trouble to replace a fairly simple reliable system.  Points work pretty well.  The early bike ignitions had a reputation for unreliability, but a lot of that had to do with leaded fuels and fouled spark plugs.  With unleaded fuels, you will seldom foul a plug.  Few people that have these old bikes put a lot of miles on them.  I used to have to clean and adjust the points on my 350 every few months or at least once a year with numerous plug changes.  Now the plugs never foul and i haven't had any points problems in several years.  However, I used to put 6-8000 miles on it per year, now I put 1000 miles per year on it.  The charging coil off a small bike WILL NOT keep up with the current demands of a 175.  The 175s charging system is dead reliable, no reason to change it. Plus, to run an electronic ignition, you need a steady voltage supply, which means you need a battery to smooth the voltage from the charging circuit and to give you enough voltage at cranking speed. If you're going to race a 175 or 350, then an electronic ignition makes sense to get higher spark voltage. Those of racing the 175 are using a battery with total loss (no charging circuit); just keep a fresh battery charge between rounds if needed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:33:45 PM by OldSwartout »
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

reed

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
a.p.s
I agree with Karl just put new points in and set the timing.
Thanks.
Steve.

a.p.s.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Thanks for your imput guys, part of my problem is that I cant let well enough alone, I am also toying with the option of running it on the track as well, so this endevor could be good in the long run. As goes the total loss system, I have done that in the past with some of the atv's that I built for drag racing,  and had problems. Looks like I will be going with the pvl ignition system now.  Thanks again for all the imput.

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)