Author Topic: My first Bridgestone, need help  (Read 8603 times)

mattprotos

• Trade Count: (0)
My first Bridgestone, need help
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »
Hi,
I just bought my first Bridgestone, well the first one in 45 years, and it needs some help. I bought a 90 Sport that is in nice cosmetic shape, but the engine was locked. Just took it apart and found that the chrome lining in the cylinder has flaked off and totaled the cylinder and piston. I didn't know that the Sport had an aluminum cylinder and can't be rebored. Should have done more research. i am looking forward to getting the bike running and riding it soon.

reed

Re: My first Bridgestone, need help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
mattprotos,
We come to the Bridgestone site and good luck with your 90 sport.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »
mattprotos, check with Millenium Technologies. They have the ability to rebore and replate cylinders. It will depend on the condition, of course, but they can assess with pictures and give you an idea if and how much. I am currently working with them to do 2 350 cylinders that had the same characteristics (probably worse).
They are listed on this site under services (I think). or here http://www.mt-llc.com/cylservice.php
They are not cheap, but many members have used their services and been ssatisfied with results...
...bert

reed

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Millennium Technologies will be re-plating my Porsche 911 cylinders.
When i start my engine rebuild etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline dcr

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 03:35:14 PM »
Is this the craigslist bike from Lemoyne PA? If so, I looked at this bike but didnt feel it was worth what he was asking. Thats not to say you overpaid - just wasnt worth it to me. Bike is in really good shape minus the motor issue, which can be easily corrected.

New piston and cylinder should be readily available - might be cheaper than having existing cylinder worked.

Welcome and good luck - I have a 1966 90 sport that I am restoring as well.

Dan
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

mattprotos

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »
It is the bike from  Lemoyne PA. I probably paid too much, but not nearly as much as he was asking. I found a piston, and maybe rings, still looking for a cylinder. I investigated the Millennium Technologies route, sort of pricy at $260.00 plus shipping. Hope that someone can find a cylinder for me for less.
Thanks to everyone, Matt

grundlegrabber

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »
Check with Power Seal (www.powersealusa.com), they are located in the Phoenixville, PA area. I've had them do some cylinder work, great people and excellent work. They do all kinds of cylinder boring and plating.

BigAl8295

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
Check with Power Seal (www.powersealusa.com), they are located in the Phoenixville, PA area. I've had them do some cylinder work, great people and excellent work. They do all kinds of cylinder boring and plating.

I used Power Seal for my 200 cylinders and they came back beautifully done.

mattprotos

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:56:40 PM »
Sent off my cylinder to Power Seal today. I found all different info on the rings to use with Nikasil plating. I have a set of chrome rings and Power Seal says they should be the best, but I have seen very different opinions on the internet. Has anyone used chrome rings with success or failure? LMK I will keep this post informed as the bike runs again. Thanks to everyone. Matt

Offline Jeff Bar

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
wouldn't been cheaper and better to just buy a new 90 cylinder and piston from richard? jeff abr

grundlegrabber

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
I always thought you use chrome rings on an iron cylinder and iron rings on a chrome cylinder. But with Nikasil, I don't know. But I'm sure the guys at power seal would know. I have been there in person. Not a huge operation but lots of high-tech stuff in there. 

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
Paul Piskor and I have been using chrome-faced Wiseco rings in our nikasil bore 175 road racers with good luck. I think either work fine, but same as always, iron rings break-in quicker but have shorter life, chrome are difficult to break in but last forever.  I would have preferred to use iron rings due to quicker break-in. On a race engine, you usually only had a few laps to get a set broken-in, and sometimes you would go out to race with a new ring just installed, so you only had one warmup lap for break-in.  You weren't interested in extreme longevity.  Unfortunately,  Wiseco didn't have iron rings in the size we needed. They did at one time, but sold out and didn't make any more.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

mattprotos

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help. Got my cylinder back from Powerseal Friday evening. Got the bike running Friday night. Road it yesterday (it was 68 degrees yesterday when it has been 30 for weeks).
Bike runs great, still breaking it in so I had to resist the temptation to crack it open and see how fast it would go.

mattprotos

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
Now that it runs, I would like to find a front fender for a 90 Sport. Mine is crunched a bit so if anyone has one they aren't using I would be interested. Other then the fender the bike is really nice.
Matt

Offline disc_valve

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »
Hi, Matt,

I don't have a spare front fender for the 90 for you , but you may like to know that the front fender on the standard BS90 (Deluxe) is identical in shape and size to the 90 Sport fender. The only difference between the two is that the 90 Sport fender is in polished stainless steel, whilst the 90 deluxe fender is in ordinary mild steel and silver painted.

Graham

Gallery

Views:331
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1466
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1800
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1869