Author Topic: GTR Rubber engine mounts  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
GTR Rubber engine mounts
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
Is it a wise thing to replace the rubber engine mounts ( part #'s 3358-9000 & 3367-9000) as a matter of course when restoring a '67 GTR? Mine look to be in good condition, but I'm sure the rubber is rock hard after all these years. Thanks in advance!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: GTR Rubber engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
Actually, I'd check it. Put a bolt through the middle, clamp it in a vise and see if there is much flexibility when twisting it.  It is surprising how some rubber parts survive well for 50 years and others don't. It probably depends on storage conditions, amount of sun, etc., but you just never know.  You also have to consider how much riding time you are planning on.  Richard has repros if you need them.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
Actually, I'd check it. Put a bolt through the middle, clamp it in a vise and see if there is much flexibility when twisting it.  It is surprising how some rubber parts survive well for 50 years and others don't. It probably depends on storage conditions, amount of sun, etc., but you just never know.  You also have to consider how much riding time you are planning on.  Richard has repros if you need them.

iagree
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
A little of topic but worth mentioning, while checking your rubber mounts, check your rear engine/frame mount for cracks. It is a known weak point due to vibration. :-\

I had to remove my motor to weld up and repair. ^-^

Hardy

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:14:55 PM »
A little of topic but worth mentioning, while checking your rubber mounts, check your rear engine/frame mount for cracks. It is a known weak point due to vibration. :-\

I had to remove my motor to weld up and repair. ^-^

Hardy

iagree 

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
Thanks moon pup and Hardy!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
Haha, don't thank me..... thank Karl & Hardy, I just agreed with everyone!  ;D

Offline hardy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »
Haha, don't thank me..... thank Karl & Hardy, I just agreed with everyone!  ;D

iagree

Offline hardy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Don’t forget to align the motor after replacing the bushes, having it out of alignment will put excessive load into one or two bushes and cause premature failure.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 02:13:39 AM »
one other thing while your doing it is to see if the stay on the frame for the rear brake spring is not bent

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:44:57 AM »
         A few pointers I've learned along the way :-
       Bottom bushes have to come out upwards, there is a small lip stopping them being pushed downwards.

Wider inner flange on bush goes against the alloy engine case.

When installing engine, put bottom bolts in first otherwise it is a struggle to line them up.
     BS used special small diameter washers on the mounting bolts to avoid bridging the rubbers.  2 on the rear bolt, 2 on the bottom bolts and 4 on the front bolt where there is a extra washer between the engine case and the rubber mount. These are items 45 & 46 on the frame parts diagram.

Replacement large bushes can be made by cutting in half a Yamaha swingarm bush, 102-22123-00.
    Anyone found an alternative to the smaller front bush ?   

In my opinion, these bushes are too small for the job they have to do, the front and rear suffering from the engine twist generated by the chain pull. I intend to try fitting longer bushes on one of my bikes and see if it makes a difference.
                                Brian.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:19:55 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
I bought a set of repro replacement bushings from Richard to fix mine that were falling apart.  I had replaced them years ago when NOS parts were still available. When I got ready to replace the front ones, they were the large size like the bottom ones. Looking at the brackets and the not-up-to-factory-standards welds, apparently I had "fixed" that issue all those years ago, but didn't remember it.  ::)  Since I had the small bushings already, I used a set of original brackets off a roller that was in the barn. Maybe that was the wrong decision????
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline Bridgestoneboy

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »
If looking for a somewhat cheaper alternative, you can actually purchase window weld from your local auto parts store to make your own engine mounts. Just put a piece of tape on one side and the bushing in the center. The window weld comes in a tube so you can just use it like caulk and fill in the space around the bushing. If you really want you can use a razor blade or something flat to smooth out the sides and so far the have worked very well on my bike. I do believe they are just a tad stiffer than NOS but it does work.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:44:41 PM »
              Once again, full credit for your innovative and enterprising solution to restoring these bushes.
      3m windo weld doesn't appear to be readily available in the UK but I'm sure there will be an alternative window adhesive and may give it a try.                                               Brian
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 11:41:40 PM »
If looking for a somewhat cheaper alternative, you can actually purchase window weld from your local auto parts store to make your own engine mounts. Just put a piece of tape on one side and the bushing in the center. The window weld comes in a tube so you can just use it like caulk and fill in the space around the bushing. If you really want you can use a razor blade or something flat to smooth out the sides and so far the have worked very well on my bike. I do believe they are just a tad stiffer than NOS but it does work.

i love Bridgestoneboy!  banana

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:05 PM »

Bridgestoneboy ROCKS!  banana

Offline Bridgestoneboy

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »

Bridgestoneboy ROCKS!  banana

I try and help where I can in this community. When your trying to restore a Bridgestone while your in highschool on a minimum wage budget, you tend to find tricks that help save you some cash and keep the project moving.  ;)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 08:36:24 AM »
        A guy after my own heart, was also a lowly paid apprentice once and had to find low cost solutions to keep the bike on the road. It's a hard habit to break and I get great satisfaction in repairing / restoring parts myself.
      Also saves those expensive NOS parts for future generations. You are learning lateral thinking skills that will stand you in good stead in the future as world resources are used up. The days of chuck it away and buy a new one are coming to an end.
    A recent Volvo magazine has informed me, they have 'rediscovered'  remanufacturing major parts is more environmentally friendly and cheaper than making new. Could have told them that years ago, for free !!                  Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)