Author Topic: 350 GTR/GTO Wiring Questions  (Read 11436 times)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
350 GTR/GTO Wiring Questions
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »
Hey guys, I got one of the vintage wiring connections kit for X-Mass and will be either repairing or replicating the wiring harness on my GTO.

I've already started resourcing some of the other pieces I might need for this project but am having a little difficulty coming up with replacement rubber boots for the battery terminal connections. Does anybody here have a source for these? They don't have to be an exact replica but close would be nice!  ;D

Here's a photo of one off my parts bike......
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline william anderson

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: 350 GTR/GTO Wiring Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
 hi moonpup , this looks like the same coveras the ones on the older honda an yamaha battery positive cables as well as the starter cables , i may have one out in the garage , i will try to look tomorrow , william anderson 8)
william anderson

Offline Skinny

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »
Hey moon pup,
You can get these in various sizes from Aircraft Spruce. They have a very user
friendly web site - find the electrical section.
I have used them on many of my restorations - Japanese and British.

Do you know where to get the small flat rubber covers on the GTR instrument lights ?
Regards,
Skinny
I do what the little voices tell me to do

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
Thanks Skinny, I'll check them out. BTW, the sleeve part that holds the wire is slotted so that the boot can be added or removed with the connection still attached to the wire.

I was also wondering about those flat boots on the speedo/tach and couldn't find them anywhere in the parts manual. I then looked at the NOS speedo/tach I got from Richard and discovered that they come as part of the package when you buy them new. I don't think you can buy them separately.

Update..... I found these at Spruce but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Are there others I'm missing?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/termnips.php
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:34:59 AM by moonpup »

Offline Skinny

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »
I usually buy the -15 in black. It seems that they are as close for most purposes as I can find.
I just had a thought - maybe a search in McMaster Carr catalog might turn up something.
Thanks for the info about the instrument light covers. I have been thinking about buying new
meters from Richard anyway.
Skinny
I do what the little voices tell me to do

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »
Ok gentlemen, here's some follow up questions for ya.

I took the wiring harness off my parts bike and took it to the local hardware store to look for some things. The guy there said that the wires were 16ga. Is that correct? When I got home and looked closer, there appeared to be at least 2 sizes of wire, with the smaller size being the dominant wire used. Would these be 16ga. and the other 14ga.?

Was also wondering if anyone has a source they know of that would carry all the different color coded wires.

Gracias amigos!

Offline Mopar5426

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
  Because The Wiring Is Not Very Long On A BS   I Have Gone To A Auyomotive Salvage Yard   They Usually Have Piles Of Wiring Harness Out Of Cars   There All Color Coded And You Can Cut Them Apart And Make A New One   The Ends Are Availible From Parts Suppliers And A Good Crimp Tool You Can Make Your Own And Retape It   Hopefully The Old One Good For A Patern   GENE

Bikenstein

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »
  Because The Wiring Is Not Very Long On A BS   I Have Gone To A Auyomotive Salvage Yard   They Usually Have Piles Of Wiring Harness Out Of Cars   There All Color Coded And You Can Cut Them Apart And Make A New One   The Ends Are Availible From Parts Suppliers And A Good Crimp Tool You Can Make Your Own And Retape It   Hopefully The Old One Good For A Patern   GENE

Thanks for the tip Gene. I'm headin to the junk yard tomorrow. ;D

hixon31272

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
If it were me making the wiring harness, I would solder and heat shrink all the connectors instead of crimping them.  It makes for a longer lasting trouble free connection, just my opinion.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
Gene, when I was into the Datsun 240Z's, I practically lived at the junkyards. However my current situation doesn't allow me the time to check them out and that is why I was hoping someone might have a link where I could just order online.

Also, can you confirm the correct or recommended size wire used on the 350's?

reed

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Mike,
I have a busy day in the workshop today but i have some information on the wiring and ga etc.
And i will post some picture tonight.
Thanks.
Steve.

Steve S.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
You may want to check with Richard also.  He's trying to reproduce the harness.  Not sure of an ETA on them though.

reed

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
Mike,
On most motorcycle wiring i keep 18 16 14 gauge primary wire in the shop, you can get them in all colors and gauge sizes 40 feet rolls
For 6.29 at O Reilly auto parts most of the wires are 16 gauge on the Bridgestone but if i was making my own harness i would do it in
14 gauge for the red + and black - and the rest would be 16 gauge and i would change the fuse holder to a all weather holder and a blade fuse not glass and crimp solder and heat shrink terminals offer the ultimate electrical connection.
Thanks.
Steve.

reed

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
This is a kit i would like to own.
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »
Steve, thanks for nailing down the wire gauge for me, that helps a lot.

I spent quite a bit of time scouring the net today and found these 2 sites that between them has every color combo needed. The first site had everything except the red w/black tracer and the yellow w/green tracer. The second site looks to have those and as a bonus, you're able to order them with a straight line tracer like the original wires had.  ;D

Here are the 2 sites.....

1) http://brillman.com/store/p-wire-cable/primary-wire/pvc-primary-wire-plastic-coat/16-gauge.html?p=1

2) http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm

reed

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
This might help when you are doing your wiring etc.
Thanks.
Steve.

ziggy stardust

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:36:41 AM by ziggy stardust »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 05:11:54 PM »
Ok, time to bring this back up as I'm finally getting around to replicating the original wiring harness on my 350.

Looking back through this thread, I guess I never got an answer as to what size the original wiring was and just assumed that what the local guy told me (16ga.) was right.

Well, I got this chart that converts American wire gauge to metric and decided to check it out. I measured some of the original stuff and got .92mm. (you measure the copper/metal only and not the covering)

According to the chart, that means our wiring was 20 ga. Yikes, that's awfully thin!

Can that be right?

https://www.andersonpower.com/_global-assets/downloads/pdf/conversion.pdf
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:02:37 PM by moonpup »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »

popcorn

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »
I'm in the process of refurbishing/converting an old dynamo into the electronic version as outlined by OldSwartout in the "How To" section of the forum.  I understand that these are third party parts and that the dynamo wiring may be a little heavier given its function but 20g seems too small.  The wiring in the dynamo seems to be 16g.  I have a couple of old 350 wiring harnesses and have thought about building a harness for my project bike using the old ones as a pattern.  I'm not trying to build a replica bike so I will probably use 16g for most of the harness and maybe some 18g depending on the application.  The heavier gauge is just going to be more efficient and the current generated by the dynamo seems to just be marginally adequate. 

Not to hijack the thread but...Just to throw a new wrinkle into it, I'm going to explore running a total dead loss system using a lithium iron phosphate battery.  For the initial phase the bike will not be street legal, which is why I'm considering building my own harness that won't power unnecessary items.  I'm hoping to run it two laps around the Barber track like this and then decide whether or not to make it street legal.  I've been collecting parts for a few years and I'm about to start reassembly on the engine but need to decide about porting and rotary valve mods first. 

Gallery

Views:218
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)