Author Topic: GTR Tail Lamp Bracket  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • What, me worry?
GTR Tail Lamp Bracket
« on: July 23, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
I'm re-painting my GTR tail lamp bracket, and noticed on the parts list that there is no rubber gasket between the bracket and the fender. Not sure if this is correct; I have other antique bikes that have a rubber gasket/damper to protect the chrome finish. is this a parts manual oversite?

Thanks in advance!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: GTR Tail Lamp Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure there was never a gasket between the bracket & fender..... at least there wasn't any on the four 350's I've dismantled.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »
Correct Moonpup, no gasket, just metal to metal.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
            Operation of the rear/brake light relies on the circuit earthing back to the battery via the bracket, rear guard and frame.
        If you decide to put a rubber gasket in, it's not a bad idea to run a separate earth wire from lower 6mm bolt on rear bracket, then under guard using existing clips and grommets  to a suitable point on the frame near the battery.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline davis

• Full Bridgestone Member
  • Desire for a better world.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:47:37 PM »
No grommet for the hole that passes the two tail light wires, but I installed them in two fenders before spraying under coating. I think I have a few extra if you want to give me your address.

- Bob

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »
No grommet for the hole that passes the two tail light wires, but I installed them in two fenders before spraying under coating. I think I have a few extra if you want to give me your address.

- Bob

There is no grommet listed in the parts manual for where the 2 tail light wires pass thru the back of the rear fender and up thru the tail light bracket.

There is however a grommet that only comes with the tail light assembly and cannot be bought separately. (as seen in the nos assembly below)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:51:09 AM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
                            FOR PURISTS EYES ONLY     ;)    

Didn't think inadvertently adding an 's' to the word grommet would elicit this response  ;D :o ;).
       Ok, Ok, you mighta got me on this one. Certainly the parts book does not clearly show or list a grommet on the guard/taillight bracket. My 3 GTRs don't have one but the GTO does, could be aftermarket. Looks too new to be original.
       Then again the parts book and the wiring diagram do not show the section of wiring that runs under the rear guard, was it supplied with the 'Rear guard complete' only ?, it is buried in the underseal. What else could the guard be 'complete' with ?
      The tail lamp assembly drawing in parts book shows a pair of wires connected to the male sockets on the back of the bulbholder and extending through the hole in the bracket. Was that supposed to depict the und er guard wires ?
     I do have a pair of NOS wires, labelled 'BS tail light wires' (handwritten) that are the correct length for a 350. They have a single grommet fitted but it doesn't match the original front of guard grommet which was domed on the upper side and I don't think it is deep enough to go through the guard/rear light bracket. So not sure if it is original.-------Later correction:- It does match the grommet in photo Pup just posted above, Ah,so it does go at back end :D and answers some of my questions above, Thanks Mike.
      Does seem odd that BS wouldn't have fitted a grommet on the tail light/guard, it's a known vibration area. If your bike doesn't have one , put one in or sleeve it with a bit of rubber tube or even tape.                                                                         
                     Brian.

PS,   Did mount the GTO rear light bracket with 3,  1'' diameter rubber washers about 1/8th thick, might be tap washers but softish ones.  Has worked so far and are barely visible, also provided clearance for wiring grommet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:27:03 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:21:03 PM »
                            FOR PURISTS EYES ONLY     ;)    

.....snip....

Does seem odd that BS wouldn't have fitted a grommet on the tail light/guard, it's a known vibration area. If your bike doesn't have one , put one in or sleeve it with a bit of rubber tube                                                                         
                     Brian.

Brian, my pic above shows the grommet that is part of and included when buying the complete tail light assembly. (apparently that was the only way to get that grommet from BS back in the day or even now for that matter)

Below, you'll see pictured both grommets being spoken about. The "domed" one on the left is in the parts manual and is for the hole at the front of the rear fender/mud guard.

The grommet on the right is the one that comes already fitted to the tail light bracket that is part of the tail light assembly. (it an old one I just pulled out of one of my extra brackets.)

There were no grommets for the hole at the back of the rear fender/mud guard where the wires go thru to the tail light bracket & tail light.

There were also never any grommets or rubber washers for the brackets' 3 mounting bolt holes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:45:55 PM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
      Mike,
                Hadn't seen your picture of the tail light assembly with grommet when I wrote the quote.  This is the first time I've been aware of that grommet.
     It all makes sense now, as the holes in the guard and bracket line up closely a separate grommet in the guard would be superfluous.
       Well done, another one solved.   
                                Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 02:17:37 PM »
On a side note Brian, back when I was putting together components for my main harness project, I also devoted a couple days searching for any grommets that might come close to resembling these 2 and came up empty!

Well actually, I did find some of the "domed" styled grommets but none with the correct measurements I needed. The hardest though was the one for the bracket... couldn't find any with that oblong slot in the middle!  :'(

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
        Mike,   Why they used two different grommet types for the same job, I don't know. The way they wired the rear light bracket makes it impossible to retro fit one without supplying the under guard wire. Had they reversed the male/female connectors on the bulb holder, they could then have been easily retro fitted because the male connectors (from under guard) will pass through the grommet, if you follow me.
        I suspect something went wrong when the different harness parts were built but that's another theory that I'll leave for now.  Great job on the new main harness's.
          Did find out I bought the alternator grommets with a lead out extension at the Stafford Show and picked up a couple of extras last April.                     Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »
..... snip.....

Did find out I bought the alternator grommets with a lead out extension at the Stafford Show and picked up a couple of extras last April.                     Brian.

"Davis" found some decent substitute grommets for the dynamo/alternator but they don't have the lead out extension. A source for the ones you found at the Stafford show would be nice for those rebuilding their units.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:46:01 PM by moonpup »

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »
     It was just a small stall at the show.  Will get the guys name and see if he has a website if he's there in October.
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 08:48:33 PM »
Thanks  for all the responses!

Offline Kenneth Pagel

• What, me worry?
Re: rear fender grommets
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Davis (Bob): I tried to PM you , but your box is full. My address is:

Ken Pagel
115 Orchard Knob Lane
Athesn, GA 30605

Thanks!

Offline davis

• Full Bridgestone Member
  • Desire for a better world.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:06:09 AM »
One grommet coming your way Ken. This one is installed through both the fender and tail light bracket. Has worked well for me.

- Bob

Gallery

Views:331
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1466
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1800
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1869