Author Topic: FNG, new bridgestone guy with photo's and story. UPDATE!!!  (Read 4100 times)

IAmTheSTIG

• Trade Count: (0)
FNG, new bridgestone guy with photo's and story. UPDATE!!!
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
New guy here, Just bought a couple of BS175DT's, one is a HS and the other is a "cafe" style i guess. Well in trying to complete the "cafe" i've come to notice it has an electronic CD ignition box. It's a Delta Products Mark Ten Model X, would anybody know the wiring diagram of this box so i can complete. Bought the bike without a generator and in process of installing another one ran into this debacle.

Here are a couple photo's of the bikes.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:18:39 PM by IAmTheSTIG »

Offline Toystoretom

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: FNG, plus need help...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
Hey.... welcome to the forum!

I've never heard of that ignition so I did a Google search and came up with an old order form for more information (on that ignition) in a 1975 Popular Mechanics and nothing else. Seeing as that ignition is probably 35 years old it may be tough to come up with any diagrams for it. Possibly someone else has some info....

My thought would be: If you are going to install the original generator (alternator) go back to the OE points ignition. It works just fine and parts are available.
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

IAmTheSTIG

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:58:08 PM »
yea, that's pretty much all i could find as well.

I have an idea of how to hook it up, i'm going to try it, has 2 chances huh.

The guy i bought it from was the original owner from 67 and raced the bike back in the 70's, he shaved the rotarys, had piston and valve work done to it with receipts for all the work.

Installed the new generator today and changed the hoses that were all old and brittle, only thing left for the silver bike is to clean the tank, hook up ignition, get a battery, and then try to fire it up.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:19 PM »
New guy here, Just bought a couple of BS175DT's, one is a HS and the other is a "cafe" style i guess. Well in trying to complete the "cafe" i've come to notice it has an electronic CD ignition box. It's a Delta Products Mark Ten Model X, would anybody know the wiring diagram of this box so i can complete. Bought the bike without a generator and in process of installing another one ran into this debacle.

I ran one of those on my 350 for several years.  I do have the wiring schematic somewhere; will look in the next couple of days.  I still have the unit, too, but my 350 is back to points ignition now.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

IAmTheSTIG

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
That would be fantastic, thank you very much  ;D

I purchased the bikes from the original owner and the bs175 racer hasn't been touched in 42 years, bike only has 20xx miles on it original. Really cool older gentleman, a ton of race boat trophies and classic motorcycles that would make any enthusiast weak in the knees. Including an old honda 125cc 4 stroke, TURBO CbX, that's right... He was also talking about how the bike only made 140rwhp, back in 1982 :o

He spent 45 minutes telling me and my buds about the work he had done to bike and racing it down in homestead during the 70's, just couldn't remember a few things on the bike, such as how the ignition box was wired up lol. Said that the guy that helped him claimed over 30hp but however says he would conservately say it makes around 28-30 and will spin 13k+ rpms.

Has different side covers to house larger carbs and a few other touches, such as a switch on the headlight to run minimum voltage as to street race it and have more power going to the "important" parts on the bike but remain legal, haha.

My final plans for the bike is to pretty much leave it as it is, just re-weld the rear portion of the exhaust to put rear-set's on the bike and design a rear cowl for it. When I first saw Bridgestone motorcycle I was a little taken away but so far very very happy with my purchase, these bikes just scream nostalgia.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »

It's a Delta Products Mark Ten Model X, would anybody know the wiring diagram of this box so i can complete.
I ran one of those on my 350 for several years.  I do have the wiring schematic somewhere; will look in the next couple of days.  I still have the unit, too, but my 350 is back to points ignition now.

I found the info on the Delta ignition.  I realized it is only for one coil and it was used on one of my Chevelles.  I think the one I had on the BS 350 was from G.C. Electronics.  It was a similar box, but made for two coils based on the schematic.  Unfortunately, the unit isn't around any more, pretty sure it failed and I tossed it.

I'll send you a copy of the info on the Delta, PM your e-mail to me and I'll send a PDF.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

IAmTheSTIG

UPDATE!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »
It took almost 11 months of searching but I finally did it. I found the wiring diagram I have been looking for, I have it cross-referenced with the bridgestone diagram. CANNOT wait to get this thing running, bike should be running on christmas. *I personally do not celebrate, but always make it a point to spend time with the family and this bike has been at there house, my father is equally excited to get this project going*

List of things to do on Christmas

1: WIRE CDI WITH NEWFOUND DIAGRAMS/SCHEMATICS
2: RE-INSTALL TANK
3: INSTALL BATTERY
4: FILL FLUIDS *PREMIX IN TANK UNTIL I CAN VERIFY WORKING OIL INJECTION UNIT*
5: TIME MOTORCYCLE
6: RIDE IT!!!

I'm really stoked guys, has take a lot of searching but looks like things are finally falling into order. After bike is in good riding condition, it will be receiving gas-reservior rear shocks *mostly for looks*, the seat will be recovered, as it already has a 'hump' in the back of the seat behind my riding position. And a set of rear-sets for riding comfort. Also the front fender will be painted to match the rest of the bike.

CAN'T WAIT.

Gallery

Views:2952
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:4095
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:4400
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:4434