Author Topic: Briefly parked for 30 years  (Read 5160 times)

mcseitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Briefly parked for 30 years
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »

My dad bought me this TMX new in 1970 when I was 12. Put 3800 miles on it between that time until I turned 16. About the same distance between Key West and Vancouver, WA - all off road. So many friends and cousins had trail-bikes back then, we had a terrific time growing up in rural NC. 

Got loned to a brother-in-law, quit working and finally ended up in my dad's barn for 30 years until my son spotted a Bridgestone while we watched American Pickers and I admitted to owning one. Dragged it out of the barn last Christmas and have been slowly rehabbing it while visiting my parents. Rusty chrome muffler and air cleaner cleaned up well with flat black paint, not a completely accurate restoration. After cleaning the tank, replacing fuel lines, new fluids, soaking the carb, unfreezing cables and new petcock seals it was time to give it a kick. Fired right up! Rode around the yard enough to tell transmission and clutch are still in working order.

Next step are new tires, fork seals and lower fork paint. It should then be ready to turn over to my son who will be turning 12 in September. It should get him visiting his grandparents more often without missing his wi-fi connection. I'm on the lookout for Chibi for his younger brother.

Amazing how this thing actually shrank after sitting for 30 years or so.

Kudos to Richard for parts help, it really hasn't needed many to get it running.

ztnoo

Re: Briefly parked for 30 years
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
Fascinating story!
Maybe your son will get "The Disease" too, eventually.
If you can turn him loose on a safe, good running machine....the odds are good he will get infected....and....there is no known cure....
3800 miles off road in 4 years is an impressive figure.
Kids do things like that...... ;D
There's a whole bunch of this going on across the country.....just witness the entire vintage bike restoration thing......35 to 40 year old complete bikes for sale with low, low miles; unbelievable NOS parts availability, and huge forum activity, not only here, but all over the internet. The woodwork is oozing antiquities like never before.......
It's called "reliving your youth".
It's a baby boomer thing.....
Amen!

IMO, this was the most attractive paint/color layout and scheme Bridgestone ever produced.

Offline old smokey

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
That looks like a blast! In my family we had to buy our own toys, but the neighbors got a little 50cc Honda 2 speed that made lots of laps on a 1 1/2 acre lot.
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

paul

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
WOW!  A Bridgestone dealer in the Southern US?

mcseitz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
Why yes, there was. Dad bought the bike from a small mom & pop Bridgestone shop in Hickory NC. No real knowledge of sales figures but I can tell you lots of TMX bikes were sold based on the number of pals who had one.

My dad grew up in the middle of the Depression. At 12, his older brothers were off fighting WWII, his father had died and he was plowing with a mule and helping run the family farm. Given that,  I never quite matched up in terms of pulling my weight around the house. But I can tell you that after the motorcycle gift, my attitude about chores and responsibilities really changed. It seems like a turning point where I actually became less childish and made a determined effort to become as helpful as I could around the house. Memories can be quite revisionist but it's my recollection that I was really grateful for what I'd received.

Not sure the effect it will have on my sons. It is a different era, none of their friends have trail bikes or even want trail bikes. But I can't help but think the thrill of twisting the throttle and feeling the surge of speed will not be lost on their generation.

reed

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
mcseitz
Very  nice story i love the smaller Bridgestone i have a TMX that's next to be worked on!
Thanks.
Steve.

Hap

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 10:38:46 PM »
Cool story. thanks for sharing. There is a certain satisfaction you get from all the work. I am sure you were smiling when it fired up!

mcseitz

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
Yes, was thrilled. Probably a similar sized grin I had the day I got the bike. My dad, now 80, was also in the garage when it fired up. He was sort of dancing around in glee. Memorable day.

Another weekend gone by and I was able to visit my parents again and fool with the bike. Started right up and now idling as smoothly as it ever had. I find it quite amazing that time has taken so little toll on the engine's performance. These were well made machines. 

BS 60 Owner

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »
Glad to here it fired right up. I'm just about to start working on my BS 60 that has been sitting for at least 25 years. I hope i have similar results as you had, for I too have a son turning 12 years old in Nov. that wants to ride it.

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
That was a good story.  As far as BS dealers in the south, I bought my new 100 GP in 1970 or '71 from a dealer in Tarpon Springs, FL, which is about 45 minutes NW of Tampa.  I drooled over the 350 GTR in the showroom, but couldn't afford it.  I rode mine to high school and there was another BS (175 DT) in the parking lot also.  Biggest bike anyone in school had back then was a Honda CB 350.

Gallery

Views:331
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1466
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1800
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1869
Comments (0)