Forum > Restoration

175 DT - 1966

(1/12) > >>

dcr:
As if I don't have enough projects already. I'm wrapping up restoration of a 50 sport and cleaning up a 100 Sport but recently found a 175 for sale close to home. I couldn't resist the price so of course I bought it sight unseen.

No gas tank but everything else was there. Heads were in a box but in great shape. Cylinders, not so much. Both stuck and the previous owner tried to get them unstuck by popping the heads off and beating on top of the pistons with a hammer. Both pistons are destroyed. Right jug appears to be undamaged but will need replated. Left cylinder is pretty beat, literally, but I will see if it can be restored.

dcr:
It looks like a little moisture got into the crank case. Everything else looks great inside but I have this bit of corrosion to deal with. Split cases yesterday and have everything soaking in Kerosene to get the heavy grease and grime loose. I'm amazed at how bad one section of the crank looks while the rest of the internals look brand new.

Going to send the cylinders out for replating and repair. Going to strip the rest of the bike and get the frame blasted and will ponder powder coat versus paint. Need to find a suitable gas tank, oil tank, left side cover and a few other items I'm sure. Much to my surprise, it has the complete tool kit in original bag and pad. It's probably worth more than what I paid for the bike.

dcr:
Picture of the tool set.

RayK:
Dan
That's how it started with me - first a 1967 175DT in 2008 => today 6x90s, 1x50, 2x175s, 1xchibi
WHEN WILL IT STOP!! ???

Good luck
Ray

Mopar5426:
  Hey Ray   How About Some 350s   GENE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version