Forum > General Discussion

350 gtr starting trouble

(1/4) > >>

mrjones:
 hello all a new member here, Marcus from wakefield in the uk,ive just finished a full rebuild on a 350 gtr but i cant get it to run,well it did start but only for a few seconds, its sparking and the carbs are clean and set to the manual specs, when i kickstart it it clicks as though the plugs are rested on the head checking for a spark and it kicks back now and then,( do they all do that?) the carbs are not in the best shape (float bowl pin lugs snapped and soldered back on ,not by me,but the float heights are correct 15/16ths? )  before i get a new set of carbs is there anything else i should know?

Bridgestone Man:
Marcus  Make sure the ign is correct, With K/S kick back I think you have an spark issue.  The K/S system is on the weak side, so be careful.

Weak spark or wrong timing  is most of the ignition issues,  with weak spark it will fire plug outside enigne but no when under compression.

On a side not what is the compression of this rebuild, what about crank seals?  Have them been replaced correctly?

Sam Keys

mrjones:
 hello Sam thanks for the reply i set the timimg as stated in scotts bridgestone manual, took the bolt out of the left crankcase side etc., but i will double check it, i dont have a compression tester but the compression is quite high going by the pressure needed to kick it over i didnt change the crank seals but again they seemed ok .

Something else i was thinking of is, would it matter if the points were "upside down" should the condensers be at the top or bottom of the points plate? mine are at the top ,it came like that, although ive stripped and rebuilt the generator since then, i thought to leave it "as was" , although ive never had it running.

OldSwartout:
The 350 alternator/points/condensers should be oriented as shown in this photo:

BRT-GTR:
             Hi Marcus,
                               Brian in the UK, welcome to the site.
        As you are likely aware, could be any number of things. Are you happy fuel is getting to both carbs. Fuel tap cleaned out ?  Choke plungers seating properly in off position ?
   Two other possibilities that you might not think of:-

Are disc valves installed correctly. Easily checked, intake port should be open with it's piston at TDC. View through carb.  They can be installed 180degs out of sync..

Mikuni carbs have a starter jet in the bottom of the float bowl. It's at the bottom of one of the tubes cast into bowl and has a slant drilling from the main bowl. Check they are clear. Jet is very small diameter and can't be removed.

Keep coming back to us, if no improvement, we'll get you running,.................. eventually  ;D ;)       Brian.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version