Author Topic: Bridgestone at Stonebridge ?? It was 'ACE'  (Read 1754 times)

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Bridgestone at Stonebridge ?? It was 'ACE'
« on: September 17, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »
              Had a great day last Sunday visiting a VJMC meeting at the Ace Cafe in London.

This really is the 'Cafe' in the term cafe racer. It was from here the 60s 'ton up boys' would set off for a 'burn up' to the next cafe or a race with mates  down to the next round-a-bout and back on the London, North Circular Road.   It's still there, just as it was back in the day.

Lots of jap bikes from the 60s onward with a constantly changing stream of riders and machines.  Met up with Steve who posts on the forum. Had hoped to be on his GTO but she wouldn't fire on both pots after repairs to the kickstart gears, so he came on his  KZ650.   Shortly before the end a nicely restored GTR arrived ridden by a guy from Oxford, one I didn't know about.  Wasn't expecting that, made my day.       
        It just happens, the general area is called Stonebridge of all things !!             There was another' BS' at the meet which I will tell you about in another post.

.......... Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

Re: Bridgestone at Stonebridge ?? It was 'ACE'
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
Looks like you had an excellent day Mr Brit! I've read alot about the "Ace" and the "cafe racer boys". It's on my bucket list of places to see. Maybe will see you there then..??...
BTW, did you get the name of the guy with the nice GTR?
...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »
           Hi Bert,
                      Thought I'd upset the guy by mentioning the seat strap goes behind the ridge on the seat, must learn some tact  ;D

Anyway, had a good chat and did get his name and tel no. Will keep in touch.  He was tidying up the GTR for a mate who owned the bike.   

This might interest all GTR owners.   He wasn't happy that the chain guard was original BS item. At first glance it seemed OK to me but the groove  that clears the rear shock looked slightly odd.  Just checked one I've got and will send him a photo to confirm one way or the other. Is there an alternative from another machine ?

If you ever tick that one off the Bucket list, would be great to meet up. It's 250 miles from my home but only 5 miles from my youngest daughters place in London.
          The Ace is not much to look at,  set amongst railway arches and former industrial land, it's only the history that you can sense and feel. Don't make a special trip !!
        Now if you combined with a vist to the TT  or classic week on the Isle of Man, then ........................ ;D 8)
       Brian.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 08:14:03 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
Good advice as usual, Brian. Don't seem to be getting to my bucket list these days. Need for the youngest daughter to matriculate.  ;D
...bert

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757