No need for jealousy, I'm just trying to keep up with you guys. Just persistence and some $ (thank you Honey for your patience too).
The tank seams were carefully sanded off (leave as much flange as possible for the re-weld butt weld). When apart, the halves were paint stripped and de-chromed, which I have found pretty expensive. (If anyone has a line on cheap chrome removal please let me know). In half, the pieces are easy to remove dents from and to clean the inner surface. I used about the best weld guy in our area to TIG weld the halves together (quality weld is of course important here). Actually, the old tanks can leak from this weld, so applying a quality, fresh weld is an upgrade. Check at the same time the weld around the petcock mounting port, these can fail as well. Also, a good leak check before chrome is important of course.
I enjoyed this project and am interested in doing another (I know Mr. Reed, I really have to get to finish the engine build to finish my first GTR!). I now may do one to the point of being chromed with illustrations.
Paint came from lifting the badges on two old battery covers where the paint appeared original. I had a good local painter (who paints vintage Corvettes - so this guy is good) who consulted with his paint rep. I can probably get the paint codes from him. Also, if anyone wants him to do the job I am willing to be your go-between.