Author Topic: project mkII rs200  (Read 24549 times)

hmmmnz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: project mkII rs200
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
well i found out why my stock units were pissing fuel...
one of the floats doesnt float :D it must have a pin hole i cant see, but given a shake you can hear the fuel sloshing around inside it.

starts well, but a bit too well for a test ride. ill keep you updated.
if nothing else the new carbs are worth it for the floats and random jets

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »
      Pop that float in a pan of hot water, you should soon see where the pin hole is.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline skiri251

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
well i found out why my stock units were pissing fuel...
one of the floats doesnt float :D it must have a pin hole i cant see, but given a shake you can hear the fuel sloshing around inside it.

starts well, but a bit too well for a test ride. ill keep you updated.
if nothing else the new carbs are worth it for the floats and random jets

My stok carbs got okay floats. No sloshing sound.
They leaked gas from float bowl gaskets. I had to put two of them per carb to stop the leak.
I put brand-new stock parts. Main jets, pilot jets, float valve assy. and yet no power and bad gas mileage.

hmmmnz

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »

i decided id change back to the original carbs for a test.
the new carbs had a piss poor bottom end, but a really good top end,

so i chuck on the carbs, starts first kick as always,
take off and the bottom end feels great, but i get to the top end and it feels pretty crap, couldnt get above 55mph

and way coming back up the hill to my place and a cylinder drops out and starts running on one,

i thought it was the condesor arcing out on the cover (its happened before)  but it felt considerably free'r revving,

parked it up and let it cool down before looking at it.

first thing i did was pull the plug,  it had crap built up on it.....  oh... nooo.....

put my finger on the plug hole and pushed down the kick start.....
noooooooo!!!!!   compression = 0 :(

pulled off the head to be greated with this tale of woe

luckily in my arsenal of spares i had one piston that was in good shape, with 1 good ring,
exactly what was needed

so swapped it all over and happy days

most importantly my stupidly expensive ceramic coated barrels were still in perfect nick, not even a hint of a scratch (thank Hesus)

heres a couple more pics of the semi destruction

so one can assume that the main jet on the left cylinder is blocked,  and it was just running on the pilot jet the whole time,  much leanness = very hot
very hot = burny hole to piston
burny hole to piston = sadness

so therefore much leanness = sadness,
better to be a bit fat :D

Offline bsracer

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 03:18:58 AM »
Or the timing is off. I chased a problem of "hole'n" pistons for about two years. 9 pistons later I finally found the ignition failed internally (bearing apple cored the shaft) where I could not see it. I would think a lack of lubrication would lead to a seizure of the piston to cylinder wall.

paul
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:30:52 AM by bsracer »

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
I've got several of those, too. Mine were due to lean mixture at part throttle. They don't run well with a hole in the top of the piston. 

At least yours didn't put a lot of material through the piston into the crankcase, hmmmnz, although since it's aluminum it doesn't really do any significant damage in the bottom end.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

hmmmnz

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
Or the timing is off. I chased a problem of "hole'n" pistons for about two years. 9 pistons later I finally found the ignition failed internally (bearing apple cored the shaft) where I could not see it. I would think a lack of lubrication would lead to a seizure of the piston to cylinder wall.

paul

how do you mean the ignition failed internally? 
9 pistons thats alot, id be pretty pissed :D
im pretty confident that the timing is good,  and the fact the top end was good with the vm18-144's
then quite shit with the vm17-18 gives me faith that my carb is blocked some where,  might order a couple of spare pistons to be safe :D

its a bit frustrating having never ridden a bridgestone before this that i dont know what i should be expecting.
but hey ho, you dont make omlets with out breaking eggs :D

apparently i have another set of carbs somewhere as well (according to ebay i bought another set a year ago,  which i dont remember either buying or receiving)  ill have to have a look in my carb cupboard (yep i have a whole cupboard dedicated to carbs and carb bits :D )

Offline skiri251

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 09:48:25 AM »
Wow... my condolences.
When I bought mine, it came with a holed piston. That was a good side. The bad side had siezed piston. LOL.
Yeah, this is my first BS also so I don't know my bottom end is normal or poor.
But I have to say it is much better than with tired VM17-18s.

Offline vinny g

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:15 PM »
The blowing head gasket certainly wouldn't of helped.If if can blow out..it can suck in.

Offline bsracer

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »

paul

how do you mean the ignition failed internally? 
9 pistons thats alot, id be pretty pissed :D
im pretty confident that the timing is good,  and the fact the top end was good with the vm18-144's
then quite shit with the vm17-18 gives me faith that my carb is blocked some where,  might order a couple of spare pistons to be safe :D

its a bit frustrating having never ridden a bridgestone before this that i dont know what i should be expecting.
but hey ho, you dont make omlets with out breaking eggs :D

apparently i have another set of carbs somewhere as well (according to ebay i bought another set a year ago,  which i dont remember either buying or receiving)  ill have to have a look in my carb cupboard (yep i have a whole cupboard dedicated to carbs and carb bits :D )

I guess I should have stated that it is a race bike and the ignition is custom. I had an ARD ignition from a racing BSA/Triumph modified to fit an SR175 Bridgestone. Had a new shaft made to fit the BSA cam taper to the BS transmission gear. I think maybe the shaft was just made of mild steel and after a bunch of races the bearing wore out the shaft. The ignition was shorting out internally when the generating magnet started bouncing around knocking off the protective coating causing it to contact and fry a hole in the piston. This happened like snapping your fingers but a bit faster.

paul

p.s. and I was pissed only because I picked up about 7 of the pistons (wiseco) for pretty cheap off ebay and thought I'd have them for a long time!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:22:52 AM by bsracer »

hmmmnz

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
Well, I replaced the main jets on both carbs.
And gave them a blow through in case more shit had managed
To get stuck in the passages.
No one likes a blocked back passage.

Everything was clear so I gave it a kick over

I love how this thing starts first kick.

Can't/won't take it for a test ride, as it's currently snowing here in Scotland.
Tell ya it was a manic ride to work on the bandit this morning.
More side ways action than I prefer on 2 wheels. One of these days I'll buy a car/ute for the winter.
Not today though Wink
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:35:40 AM by hmmmnz »

hmmmnz

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
right,

i took the seat to be recovered, so that'll be away a week or 2,

also spoke to the vintage japanese motorcycle club (vjmc) about dating the bike for the dvla (vtnz in nz, dmv in the states)

so that got done pretty painlessly

still waiting for the dvla to send out the paperwork for me to fill in and send back (frankly astounded you cant just download the paperwork, british bureaucracy at its best, of course they've also shut down all their offices so you cant just pick it up either)

so while i was waiting, i thought id work on the mrs suzuki B120 of 72 vintage.  (not that she has ever ridden it, but she swears she's doing her licence this year....  :roll: )

it hadnt been started in a couple of years and last time i rode it, the fuel would piss out the float bowl, or alternatively run out of fuel because the bowl wasnt full enough.

and since the carbs are almost the same as the bridgestone i thought id steal a float from one of the 4 spare carbs i have, and put that in, also uses a 95 main jet as well which i had a few spare, so a new one of those went in,

put it back together, turned on the fuel,

and...

so pretty happy with that,
first kick after 2 years. might take it out for a spin if im not to drunk after ive done my beer brew in the morning.  so probably wont take it out for a ride :D

i really need to sell my vtr and buy another 2 stroke,

Offline skiri251

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
No test ride with BS200 yet?
That YouTube video sounds really good. (Although there is no guarrantee yuo will get a good bottom end power..)

Love the Suzuki too. LOL

Meanwhile my '79 Yamaha IT175 had a big end bearing disintegrated on me during the desert ride last weekend.
Need a new over-bore piston/rings plus crank rebuild of course.

hmmmnz

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »
nah, the weather has been crap, so havnt taken it out,
and now the seats away getting recovered,
also noticed a small exhaust leak, so will replace the gasket on the left cylinder.

i am quite looking forward to a problem free test run though :D

bugger about the it175,  i wonder how similar they are to the ag175.  had one when i was a kid, and to this day still swear its the best bike ive ever owned.

Offline skiri251

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
Never heard of AG175.
Getting a piston kit from UK and IT appears to share a piston with DT and TY but not AG of similar years...

Hope the weather will warm up soon for the test ride.

hmmmnz

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »
never heard of an ag175!!  staple of the nz farming industry :D

same bore and stroke as the it175, just lower compression, obviously the piston is different, and no doubt the porting etc, 

any way
well, after a successful brew i was in no fit state to go for a ride on any bike,  order of the day was a drunken lunch time nap,
last batch of hops added to the mash ton. 
doesnt look very appetising i admit :D

but sunday was a good day,
first i took pinky (b120) for a ride to find it was running out of gas at full throttle, so pulled the carb and adjusted the float,
another spin and she was bang on, even managed to get to 55mph on the flat :D hehe

next on the cards was wee red (bridgestone)
had to replace a buggered exhaust gasket, then decided id take her for a spin with out the seat,
ran like a champ!!  managed 80mph on the clocks and pulled pretty well getting there,

big red (vtr) got a start up a wee run, as well, just because it'd been such a fruitful day

blacky (bandit) didnt get any love

pics for thread

Offline skiri251

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
80mph!

Well maybe I will go through old carbs one more time in that case...

Congrats.

hmmmnz

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
yeah and was smooth getting there and easily held it,  i feel like i could get more out of it as well,
biggest thing for me has been changing the floats (originals were taking on fluid) and changing out the main jets,

its been a bumpy ride getting there,  when the seat comes back ill take it for its mot and get it road legal,  then decide if i want to pursue a couple more hp.

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1691
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)