Author Topic: How many GTR 350 ONLY lovers are there out there?  (Read 18034 times)

Bikenstein

• Trade Count: (0)
How many GTR 350 ONLY lovers are there out there?
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »
I kinda like all Bridgestones for some reason, especially after usin this site but I really only care for and love the 350 GTR. A GTO maybe, but the original, the GTR is the bike for me. I had a new DT 175 and I have a lot of good memories of it, but it was nothin compared to the day I got on my new GTR and tore up the road. I do plan to maybe collect a few BS's of different sizes or just to invest in, but I don't think I will ever sell my ragged lookin baby. In the words of Peter Frampton, "Do you feel like I do"?

Bikenstein

Re: How many GTR 350 ONLY lovers are there out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
Ok, so I guess I'm the only one or the only one who will admit it. 350 GTR forever! ;D

Offline farmerdl

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »
I'm pretty much a GTR person also.  The smaller bikes are interesting but not like the GTR.  The GTO is OK but it's kinda like a rolling exclamation point whereas the GTR has that sllek polished look.

DL

Bikenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
That's what Im talkin about! All function and sleek. What do you do with this thing with "scrambler" pipes and bars?

rocketman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »
 Bikenstien, a quick answer to that question would be to take a look at Steve and Mopars recent pics on the "another GTO back on the road" thread. Thats what you do with them . Two great resto's. These bikes were simply another way of expressing yourself and your personal preferences.   Thanks, Mark.

Bikenstein

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
Already looked at em Mark and commented. I think they look cool with the high pipes and all and I imagine a lot of guys feel toward them the way I do about the GTR. Everybody has their preferences. I wouldn't object to someone radically customizing a 350. Don't put it past me to do so. But for Bridgestone to build such a fine state of the art machine of that caliber and then follow the trend of the times in modifying it to scrambler style did not do justice to the bike (in my opinion). I would have loved to have seen a 350 single dual purpose machine for instance. Like the Kawasaki BigHorn, which wasn't a GREAT dirt bike but was a fun ride and more functionally suited for off road use. They more than likely would have went that route and then some had they continued manufacturing bikes. I admire anyone that takes any old bike and brings it back to life, not only full restorations but any effort put into gettin them runnin and back on the road. Not everyone is in a position to do a show quality bike and I would love to see photos of anyone's work regardless of the finesse. It's not all about the beauty queen. ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:45:10 PM by Bikenstein »

reed

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
This one is next it will be built with all the old parts as a rider!!
Thanks.
Steve.

Bikenstein

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:41 PM »
Too shiny for me. ;D    I know you'll polish it to perfection too!

reed

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
Not this one!!
Thanks.
Steve.

Offline RayK

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
I thought that this site was set up by Richard Clark for ALL Bridgestone bikes.  After all the 350s were virtually the last bikes produced in series of many. I must admit that if i had the opportunity to own a 350 I would be quite happy. Great bike, however the Bultaco Metralla 250 and the Ducati 250 twin filler from the same era would be equally as desirable.
RayK
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline farmerdl

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
I don't believe anyone means to denigrate the other Bridgestones, it's just that we all have our preferences.  If I found a good GTO that I could afford I would buy it.  As to other makes, I've been looking for the right (see afford above) for a few years. I also have a few Suzukis, my daily rider is a GS1100ES, and a couple of Kaws. I will however always view the GTR as special. Probably because it was the first bike I ever owned and would beat the snot out of just about everything else in town and for sure in my high school's parking lot when it was new.

dl

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
I LOVE THE GTR ITS MY FAVORITE BRIDGESTONE .I WOULD LOVE A GTO AND ANY OTHER BRIDGESTONE THAT I CAN GET MY HANDS ON .AS A MATTER OF FACT I WOULD SHARE MY LOVE WITH SO MANY DIFFERENT MAKES AND MODELS.   I AM A BIKE SL** !

Bikenstein

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
Farmerdl and I seem to be the only GTR exclusive lovers on this site. That's a disappointment to me. I can see most anyone having a special bike that surpasses all the rest regardless of the make, model or year. It seems to me if you really love motorcycles there should be an absolute favorite. I have owned a lot of bikes and have enjoyed them all. I like all the bikes I own now. But the GTR is, and probably always will be, that special bike that can't be replaced. You can buy one or twenty, restore them to perfection, or just get em runnin as a "rider", just as I will buy just about any bike pre -1980 and I really like em. But if the GTR doesn't mean anything more than one of these does to me then I guess you're not a true GTR lover. Perhaps you have another bike that you feel this way about. I would hope so. Everyone should be able to have such an experience with a motorcycle. I'm just disappointed that there aren't more GTR 350 only guys on this site. To each his own. And Ray I know and respect that this site is for all Bridgestone bikes. That's why I posted it under 350 talk. I'm not saying that the GTR is the greatest Bridgestone or greatest bike period, it's just the greatest bike to me. And I know it's only due to the one I had in the sixties and my experience with it, but the simple truth is it's the only bike I love. Make no mistake, it's not the same kinda love I have for my wife (she might eventually learn enough about computers to find this site), but I love my GTR 350. Do you feel like I do?

Offline bsforever

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:19 AM »
Bikenstein ,  do not know if you read my posts from when i first joined this site, but i am a GTR lover exclusive to the 1971 GTR , that is what my brother had and it had left memories in my mind that cannot be forgotten even after 35+ years. I joined this site when i did not have my GTR......it was all a hope and a dream, the bike that was actually what my brother had is untraceable....i tried. But in the events that occured, i did purchase the same identical bike like my brother had and i was happy with what i had purchased because it is the best i can do...... and i will never look at it as just a Bridgestone, but as an experience that i can attain once i have it restored , and have the GTR experience just as he had all those years ago. Just yesterday, one of my neighbors stopped by and i showed him my project, and he said that he remembers when my brother had that bike. So in a way.......it keeps him alive in memory also.  Right at this time, my GTR is a sentiment and i am sure when i get it on the road, i will say i love the experience also. My goal is to have 'her' on the road hoping sometime this July.  :)  'bsforever' means to me....... the memory is forever about what the Bridgestone means to me. Just want to fill in some details about the why the GTR is a special bike to me.  :)

Offline farmerdl

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »
I have to say I'm kinda like coxy...a bike sl.. I also agree with Bikenstein and I like or even love all of the bikes I've owned in the past or now.  And all for different reasons.  Just like women though, no matter how many you've known, there is always one and just one that will always stick in your mind and you will only ever remember the good times when you look back. I forget the fouled plugs, seized pistons, the way it tended to wallow when it was pushed hard into a turn and the nights I limped home with the motor held in by the front mounts only (due to rider abuse).  What I remeber when I look back is how sweet she was when evrything was right.  That's why the GTR is my one favorite bike and I am a GTR only lover.

dl

Offline bsforever

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »
i agree with you farmerdl, everyone has their own attachment or love for one reason or another for the GTR. But, just the same can be said about the GTO or other bikes for that matter..... reasons are unique to the why it is 'special'. GTR does have alot of shiney pieces on it though....really looks nice that way. We can be grateful for Richard for having this site on the web, so we can keep the Bridgestones alive, running and not forgotten about. :) :) :) bsforever !!!!!!!!

Bikenstein

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
Sorry about your loss Bsforever. I've lost two brothers. I very much appreciate this site as well as others because it's had and is having a major impact on keeping all Bridgestones alive. Thanks to Richard and all the members. But, the thing is it has to be the GTR or the GTO or some other bike. If you feel the same about more than one bike then neither is special. I have bikes that I like for different uses and some for their looks, but the GTR though ragged out and not runnin owns that special spot. I'm beginning to feel like I'm special. A special mental case.

Offline bsforever

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
bikenstein...... embrace the feeling .....i do.  :) :) :)

Bikenstein

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »
Thanks bsforever, I'll do that ;D

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 02:50:08 AM »
hey Dave i think that special spot will always go to that first real bike that bike of your teens

Gallery

Views:336
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1471
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1805
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1871
Comments (0)