Author Topic: Petcock for 175  (Read 6807 times)

Dave K

• Trade Count: (0)
Petcock for 175
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
Are there parts available to rebuild these petcocks? I have spent most of the
day and have finally given up on making mine flow fuel. I can get about 3-4
miles before the engine runs out of gas. Then it is wait by the side of the road
for the floar bowl and fuel line to fill up. For some reason the petcock just
will not flow enough fuel. I have removed the fuel cap looking for the vent to
be clogged. The carbs have been totally stripped and cleaned. The origianl
petcock has been flushed and reflushed and it just won't flow enough fuel. The
tank is clean inside, though I have flushed it multiple times, just to be sure.
Any other ideas? I do have a new one coming, but somehow I want to fix the orginial one as well.

Offline Bridgestone Man

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: Petcock for 175
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
Dave

Fuel petcocks are a problem for stones, the repair kit I used in the past did not seal well at all. When you turned it off
it still leaked through into the fuel lines, flooding the carbs and filling the crankcase

If it is not leaking perhaps it is just plugged up to some degree, soak it in carb cleaner and try to get passages open.
If you have found a new one, you are lucky as they are hard to get,  try the above and see it if helps

Sam Keys

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:51:12 PM »
Sam, thanks for the tips. I have been soaking and blowing this one out of and on since about Christmas. Today was the day I was going to fix or move on. Richard fortunately has new ones, so I have new one coming. The petcock seems to flow good for a little bit and then it will virtually stop. It is as if there is some debris, that gets in the plumbing and then when you back blow it, it gets out of the way for a bit before it plugs it up again. I was just wondering about taking the whole thing apart and if there are new seals, I would discombumerate the whole thing and start fresh. If there are no new parts, there is no reason to take it apart. IMHO

Dave K

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Dave I know this might sound simple but are you sure your fuel cap is not plugged up and not venting Jeff

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
My thoughts as well. So I took the cap off and tried it that way. It made no difference. As a test, I did take a rubber tipped air hose and used it to blow through the vent. Under pressure, gas will flow, but it has to be under pressure. Gravity and no gas cap still won't work.

Offline Bridgestone Man

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:19:48 PM »
What about the seal under the lever can you enlarge holes to make it flow better, maybe the seal is compressing, closing the flow off

Sam Keys

Offline Jeff Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
Good idea Sam, take a drill bit and enlarge the three holes a bit  Jeff

Dave K

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 07:25:52 PM »
Sam,
    I will try that. I have not taken that apart yet. Sounds as if that is a plan. Thanks       The 175 runs up to speed and idles so nice, until you are 3 mi. from home. Did you ever notice all the people you know that will see you pushing a bike instead of riding it? They are sure to remind, when they see you again.

Offline Jeff Bar

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
Dave  Are you 100% sure it is a fuel delivery problem?  Jeff

Dave K

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »
Yes, and again good thinking. At the moment I have clear fuel lines on. But, part of my job today on the bike was to just plain go all over it. I checked and touched up the timing. Checked plugs and as mentioned before, totally cleaned the carbs and tank. When there is fuel standing in the fuel lines, the bike runs tremendous. But, when you start to see bubbles and finally no fuel, it stops running. I can somewhat get a little extra distance out of it by running with the choke on, but I am afraid of running the engine lean. It is the right side carb/line that empties first. To drain the tank, I took the fuel lines and placed them into the neck of a gas can and turned the petcock on. It won't drain fuel unless you wiggle and slosh the bike, with or without the cap on. Yes, there is about 2 gals. of gas in the tank. I put gas in there again today after checking it with a strainer.

v330123

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
Dave:

The petcock on my 71 MKII was ruined by decades of sitting outside. When I tried, I couldn't buy a new one, and the body was too bad to try to rebuild. So, I had a local machine shop drill and tap the bung in the bottom of my tank. there's lots of metal there, and the 3/8NPT tap was no problem. I bought a universal petcock, with two outlets, for $29 at Parts N More on the web. Here's the address.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.php?model=h2&category=carb

The complete description is below. Anyway, I was ready to thread the new petcock into the tank bung, but instead, I also bought a 22mm (I think it was 22mm) chrome adapter nut to thread on around the bung to protect the original threads, and dress up the installation. The petcock threaded into the adapter nut. The whole thing works great so far and looks fine. I'll try to post some pictures of the installation.

I think Richard Clark may have some new petcocks now. That might be a better solution. Good luck.

Gary

UNIVERSAL FUEL PETCOCK
 Universal Fuel Petcock.1
Can be set up as a single or dual outlet petcock.1
Comes with 1 Piece straight outlet, and 2 Pieces ninety degree outlets. Includes a blockoff plug to install when using as a single outlet. The petcock is a direct fit to a 3/8"NPT (female threaded) tank bung, or use one of our adaptor plates or adaptor nuts. 1
Ideal economical replacement for troublesome vacuum or manual petcocks. 1
Features trouble free compact design, has ON, OFF & RESERVE

$29.00US EA.

Part#20-0100

v330123

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »
Dave:

I posted a couple of views of the universal petcock. Hope you can find them, hope they help. Good luck.

Gary

Dave K

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
Gary, yes I found the picture. Looks pretty good and the good news is it works!

Offline Jeff Bar

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »
Gary

Those valves in the photos look great, I will keep that part number and phone number around

Thanks

Jeff

Gallery

Views:334
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1470
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1801
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson