Author Topic: kickstart not retracting automatically  (Read 3638 times)

jjwithers

• Trade Count: (0)
kickstart not retracting automatically
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
1967 175HS Rebuilt engine by a local engine builder... who also went through the tranny and clutch.

I got the bike started for the first time in a year since I took it apart. 

I seem to remember the kickstart lever retracting on it's own after kicking it.  But this one does not snap back.  I can raise it by my foot or hand and it stays in place though. 

Should I be worried?  I just replaced the transmission gasket because the same builder put it in and ripped it and it leaked.  I really don't want to tear it all apart again but I have a feeling it is something internal...

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: kickstart not retracting automatically
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:06 PM »
My guess is that the kick spring did not get pretensioned before the cases were joined. Unfortunately if this is true, you'll be splitting the engine cases to correct. Others should jump in before you do that. There may be a trick to fix this. (Hoping for some magic.)
...bert

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »
Sorry, Bert, but the 175 kickstarter return spring is outside the crankcase, under the clutch side cover, relatively easy to get to.  It's the 350 that has the spring inside the crankcase.

jjwithers, the problem does need to be fixed, otherwise, if the lever falls back just a little while riding, it lets the pawl ride on the teeth of the ratchet and wear. You may not hear it cllicking while riding.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Thanks Karl. Still a 175 newb.  ;D
...bert

jjwithers

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
Sorry, Bert, but the 175 kickstarter return spring is outside the crankcase, under the clutch side cover, relatively easy to get to.  It's the 350 that has the spring inside the crankcase.

Thanks.  i remember seeing the coiled kick spring in there when I had everything apart while I replaced the gasket but something may not have been hooked up properly.  Is there a trick to how it goes? I'm looking at the parts diagram now and scratching my head a bit...

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
In the parts diagram, the spring, Item 7 has a 90 degree end on the inside that goes into a hole in the crankcase to keep the spring from turning. The other end has the end bent at 90 degrees pointed radially inward toward the center. This end goes into the hole drilled through the shaft near the outer end.  The spring is wound ccw about one turn and the outer end inserted into the hole in the shaft. Then it's tension twists the shaft cw against the internal stop (inside the transmission), bringing the kickstart lever back up.

Unfortunately, I missed a possibility; if the shaft was assembled into the internal ratchet holder, Item 3 below, with the wrong orientation, the hole in the shaft will have the wrong orientation and it may not be possible to tension the spring properly.  The hole in the shaft should be vertical whent he shaft is cw against the internal stop.  See the 50-175 Service Manual page 21 for a photo.  If the orientation is wrong, the crankcases may have to be split to correct it.  Hopefully, the orientation on yours is correct and the assembler just didn't wind up enough tension on the spring.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:21:02 AM by OldSwartout »
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

jjwithers

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
Thanks Karl. 
As always, you go above and beyond to help.  Next time the cover comes off, I will sort through this. 
-Josh

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
   Josh,
               If you ride it in the mean time, use a rubber band or a shock cord to hold the lever against the stop or you will need a new ratchet and have to repair any damage it might do.  Could take out the cases, as Coxy reported                            Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
 sounds like you need to preload the spring which is usually done on re assembly . I don't remember exactly on the 175 though I have to get in there soon as my kick lever sometime doesn't return suggesting a broken ratchet spring.
I would say on the 350 to take off your kick gear and ratchet and stopper wind the kick lever back so that the recess on the shaft for the ratchet is between the stopper plate then re attach the stopper plate you should have preload     

hmmmnz

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 01:42:46 AM »
I did the same thing the other day.
Having forgot to pre tension it before purring the clutch case back on.

It's a 10 or 15 min job.
Drain the gearbox oil
Remove the carb.
Remove kick start
Unbolt the clutch casing
Then with long nose pliers rotate the spring 180'
And pop it in the hole at the bottom of the shaft

It's a bit of a pain trying to get it in the hole.
But with the aid of a screwdriver it's fine.

Re-assemble and away you go.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
There is a "return spring holder", a cup shaped steel retainer that goes on the outer end of the shaft, over the spring, to keep the spring centered. It keeps the end of the spring from popping out of the hole in the shaft. Item 9, page 22 of the parts catalog.  If that is missing, the spring won't stay engaged.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

Gallery

Views:331
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1466
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1800
Comments (0)