Author Topic: Paint codes???????  (Read 7423 times)

Sno Jet

• Trade Count: (0)
Paint codes???????
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
I have posted a couple time looking for someone who knows the paint codes but have received NO replies.

Is it possible that NO one knows the correct factory paint codes? 

I am trying to match the pearl white on a 200 RS.  Any help out there at all?  Thanks.

whitegto

Re: Paint codes???????
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
My understanding is that with the late all painted 350s (71) the parts were painted locally near Rockford motors headquarters. So, it would seem unlikely that for them at least there wasnt any paint codes.......maybe somebody can shed some more light on this?
I guess the best solution these days is to find a good painter who can colour match, they are out there if you look and ask.

cheers John

BSOrion

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
Sno Jet,

I realize this doesn't help much but I've done a lot of research on paint codes for my 1971 RS-200 and have yet to see anything about "pearl white" color let alone code.  For color option doco, I've only found the sales brochure for 1970 which has imperial gold and sequoia green as the only color options for both  200 SS and RS models.  The only other color that year was candy red for the 350 and 175.  Alternative colors may have been available to other countries but that's beyond me.  I don't want to discourage but you might be chasing a ghost or, you may have a very rare RS-200.  I hope later is true.

Good luck, Orion

Sno Jet

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
Ok guys, thanks for the replies.  My bike has been re-painted over the years so I do not have a great color sample to go by.  I say my bike is White because the person who last painted it went right over the Mach II decals.  I peeled them back and it is white.  Also the back of the tank by the seat was untouched and is still white.  It was a backyard painter for sure!

If you go to the parts book it shows that the Mach II left side covers came in white, red, blue, gold and green.  I don't know how many were made of each color.  It appears red or gold were popular.

So as I fumble through this puzzle, I believe I have a 1971 Mach II RS in pearl white.  I will try to have the remaining white matched.  I appreciate the comments as I am really into learning as much as I can about this bike.  If any one has a pearl white left hand cover that they want to sell, please let me know.

whitegto

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
i would talk to the custom harley guys or hot rod guys to find out where/ who the good painters/ colour matching shops are........John

rocketman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
 Sorry about the initial lack of response, Sno Jet. This subject reemerges every so often. There are no color codes or formulas that exist in modern day systems, associated with Bridgestone, to replicate these colors. Colors can be duplicated however thru several means. The best method is to take your clean, polished, non-faded original part to your local higher end automotive paint supplier,like Dupont, PPG,etc.,where they will shoot the part with a multi spectrum camera that uses a computer data base to formulate the new color. First you need a sample like stated above, it needs to be of a size large enough for the camera to park on. Your supplier can tell you what is required size wise. Most large paint shops using quality product can also handle this request,and smaller shops using quality product can also provide this service thru their paint jobbers(suppliers). Even with all this technology,they do not guarantee a perfect match,but a very close,blendable color. If you are doing an all over resto, it's the way to go for sure. This would be a great club wide project. There are still lots of pristine original bikes around. Anyone, nearly anywhere can have the color on their bike read by a local Dupont Jobber and develop a formula, with no fear of damage to their own finish. Then share the results. The one catch here is checking the formula,which requires it to be properly sprayed out and compared to the original(for exactness). Just an idea. Good luck, Mark.

Sno Jet

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
Thanks to everyone who answered.  I appreciate it.  If I had a few good color samples, I would volunteer.  My collection is not at that point though as I do not have any good samples of any colors at this time.

Maybe as Bridgestone collecting gets more popular, someone will end up doing it.  I think it is important that correct data and info. gets passed down to others in the hobby.  This hobby will be what we all make it to be.

Back in the 90's, I saw something similar with American Motors collecting.  Guys were saying that AMC's would never be worth much, ect, ect.   That has all changed since then.  They may not bring as much as a Chevy, but they are desirable.  Wish I kept mine.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.   My point is that this web site is not very old and we are all fortunate to have this forum and the people on it.  LONG LIVE BRIDGESTONE!

reed

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 11:18:51 PM »
Sno Jet
Try Richard for your left hand cover!
Thanks.
Steve.

Sno Jet

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »
Been there, done that.  Can't seem to find any cosmetic parts in good shape.  Tried mufflers, fenders, fender stays and white pearl side covers.  No luck.

reed

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:36:49 PM »
Sno jet
Do you have all the parts to be painted on your Bridgestone!
let me know, i have a idea!
Thanks.
Steve.

robinkwmack

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »
Hey there, just joined the forum after getting a 1969 RS I am bringing back to life.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I to was searching for original paint and I came across this site in the UK. Figured I would pass it along.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I've been trying to find a match for the candy blue paint for two years.

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)