Author Topic: M II SS 200cc Gifted  (Read 4388 times)

dmanoa

• Trade Count: (0)
M II SS 200cc Gifted
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
I just received a M II SS 200cc from our local free cycle, I am looking to find parts for it and where to start to even getting it on the road again.  Pretty excited about the project just don't know where to start.

1) Did these have a keyed on and off switch?
         This one has a toggle for the on off switch currently.
2) Where does the battery go for the lights?
         There is no battery in the bike and don't know where it hooks up to.
3) The dynamo is pretty worn and needs new parts.(points, breaker cam....)  Can't find anyplace that has parts.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: M II SS 200cc Gifted
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
Start by downloading the parts and service manuals from the downloads section or buying real paper ones from Richard or CPC (check out the Links section).  They also have many parts.  Stuff shows up on E-Bay regularly, also.

Yes, it is supposed to have a key ignition.  The battery would go into a "box" area under the seat behind the right side cover, and is necessary for spark.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

dmanoa

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
Nice, I have the Service manual and parts manual for the bike (paper copies), both are marked that they came from CPC. Is there anyplace to get the schematics for the electrical?
Thanks

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:44 PM »
The 175 (&200) schematic is on P. 61 of the 50-175 Service Manual.  Unfortunately, it doesn't show the internal ignition switch connections.

I believe the following is correct (if someone else knows differently, please chime in):

Off: No connections to power (Red) or rectifier.  The Blue and Yellow may be connected together.
On (ignition):  Red (2), Blue and Yellow connected together.
On (ignition + lights):  Red (2), Blue, Yellow and Gray connected together. Brown and White connected together. 
Park:  Red (from battery) connected to Yellow
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

dmanoa

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »
I found where to put a battery and how to get the covers off, not like it was missing or hard or anything just didn't look.  I think the real problem is going to be where to get a dynamo or at least parts to rebuild the unit.  Currently I need to get a hold of the breaker cam.  I found the points for it. Just need the cam that they brush against. 

Has anyone used a different one from another bike or if there is even any interchangeable parts for the dynamo. I did read that the points can be used from a kz1000 A1-A7, but I can get bridgestone points so that is not a problem. Just need the cam that the brushes sit on.

Thanks

v330123

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
dmanoa,

You'll see my 1971 200cc MKII SS in the photo gallery. It's the Krylon grey model. I may never finish the proper paint and chrome restoration, but I'm quite happy to have the bike back on the road. Mine too was acquired for free from a family friend who bought it off of my Dad back in the mid 70's.

Anyway, I got some parts from ebay, but most came from Richard Clark and from Certified Parts Corp (http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/). CPC sold me a parts catalog and Service Manual. I think they were $5 each. Good luck.

Answers:
1. Yes, there is a keyed switch in the left hand side cover.
2. The + side of the battery goes through a 10A fuse to #2 terminal on the ignition switch. From there it goes to the right places depending on the position of the key. There's a daytime position and a nighttime position. In the daytime position, the ignition, horn, brake lights, and neutral lights are energized. This position also switches into place two of the three rectifier diode pairs. In the nighttime position, same plus headlight high/low beam, beam indicator, and the remaining rectifier diode pair. The service manual I bought has a very thorough and simple wiring diagram, complete with wire colors.
3. My dynamo was packed with mud and rust. The bearings were frozen from years of weather exposure, just like the rest of the bike. Richard Clark provided a brand new dynamo complete with points and condensers. He also was able to provide a brand new rectifier.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: M II SS 200cc Gifted ********Free MANUALS **********
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Hey guys remember the manuals are now free on this site, under DOWNLOADS

Jeff Bar

v330123

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Jeff. I purchased my copies from CPC before I knew of this site. But you are right, the service and parts manuals available here look much like the ones I purchased, but have better pictures.

Gary

dmanoa

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
I was able to download the manuals and the electrical schematic for the bike and after some careful inspection of the dynamo it looks like it might be good with new contact breakers. I checked the cam with my micrometer and ohm meter and it seems to be OK. Also checked everything else through the other day and it looks like it just needs the battery, points, wiring, rear tube and tire, and fuel line, after that it looks like it is just cosmetic stuff that will need to be fixed. 

Gallery

Views:220
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)