Author Topic: What's Next? 1965 Bridgestone Sport 90 Engine Seized  (Read 18398 times)

stingray68

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's Next? 1965 Bridgestone Sport 90 Engine Seized
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
Thank you Bert for the info!  Another for you pros out there.....The repair manuals suggest using special tools (piston seat, clutch wrench, etc..) for assisting in the dis assembly and re assembly of the engine and crankcase.  I guess what I would like to know is should I try to purchase these tools prior to going any furthur with the dis assembly?  Or is it possible to do the work without these tools.  Also, please keep in mind I do not have access to a machine shop or welder to make my own tools or fixtures.  Thank you all for your help....Mike

mqtsteve

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 06:54:56 AM »
Mike,
You can do without the special tools.  Use a small piece of wood or aluminum for the piston seat.  It stops the crank from spinning while tightening/loosen nuts.  The sprocket stopper does the same job for the transmission.  You can hold the sprocket with the chain.  The left hand thread special nut on the right side of the crankshaft can be removed without the tool.  It takes some ingenuity.  I used two slotted screwdrivers and a pair of pliers.  Good luck!  Steve
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:49:08 AM by mqtsteve »

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 06:04:22 AM »
On the subject of special  tools, I'd agree that none of them are really necessary for stripping the 90/100 engine. For the left-hand thread crank nut, you only need a special tool (peg spanner) for the early model 90s which had a special nut. Letr model 90s changed this to a normal hexagon nut (still l.h. thread though), so chances are yours can be removed with a normal socket or ring spanner.

As for the locked motor, the fact that the sprocket spins freely when in neutral ( and that you can select neutral) means that you probably don't have a rusted/seized transmission. I would suspect maybe something has broken in  the primary drive and jammed that - or possibly you've got a broken disc valve and bits have jammed that up preventing the crank from turning. he good news is that both can be checked without delving too far into the innards - just removed the clutch/primary drive casing and all will be revealed.

Graham

stingray68

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
Good Morning All,  Graham, thank you for the input!  I suspect you are right about something being broken. I was looking over the motor and I pulled a small metal fragment out of the area where the connecting rod goes into the crankcase.....So something is snarfed up in there.  I think like you said once that primary casing is removed I will be able to see what the root of the problem is. I will post a few pics once I remove it.  Thank you again to everyone for the help and wisdom in with these machines...Mike

P.S.  Thank you all to all of our veterans out there on this Memorial Day weekend and everyday for that matter!!

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
Amen on the thanks to veterans!
...bert

stingray68

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 07:10:45 PM »
Hey Guys, 

Well, I am getting to spend a little time this weekend and am wondering what is the easiest/best way to remove the pinion gear from the crankshaft as seen in the pictures.  The manual refers to a special tool I believe.  What do you all recommend.  Thank you!  Mike

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2016, 08:11:43 PM »
On a 350 the large driven gear that runs on the counter (clutch center) shaft is held with a special tool while the nut is removed. I'm sure there is something equivalent here.
...bert

stingray68

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »
I just want to clarify that I am trying to remove the rotary valve plate so the pinion gear needs to be removed.  Thank you all again....Mike

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »
Sorry, if I misinterpreted. If you have the primary nut removed (which it appears you do in looking more closely at the pic), then you just need a puller to remove the pinion. You should be able to find a suitable one at your local auto parts store or Amazon/ebay. Should pull right off , but may require a tap with a punch in the center of the shaft when you have the puller tightened.
...bert

stingray68

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
You hit the nail on the head.....that is what I needed to know.  I just wanted to be sure there were no special tricks to removing the pinion before I get to far into the process.  Thank you again for all your help.....Mike

Offline disc_valve

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
Hi, Mike,

It seems you have the early type of pinion nut on your engine. The special tool is simply a tube with a bar welded to it and the business end cut away to leave 4 small tags which fit into the slots in the nut.  You may get away with using a soft drift to tap the nut round (but use an aluminium or brass drift to avoid bruising the nut).

Honda used a similar type of nut to secure their centrifugal oil filters to the end of the crank. The common dodge there was to find a conventional socket that just fits over the nut, and then shape a short length of welding rod into a "U" shape to fit into tow opposite slots in the nut. Then tap the socket on over the nut and welding rod and that usually gave enough purchase to loosen the fastener.

Whatever you do, remember that the nut is a LEFT HAND thread!

Once the nut is removed, the pinion should just slide off the crank splines. No puller is necessary. If it's a bit stiff, try using a tyre lever under the edge of the pinion to persuade it to start moving.

Good luck.

Graham

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »
As usual, I learned something from Mr. Weeks. I did not recognize the nut as a nut... ;D Sorry if I misdirected (again).
...bert

stingray68

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 04:28:17 PM »
Hello Everyone!!   Well, I was able to remove the pinion and rotary valve plate and it looks pretty crunchy in there.  I will continue the disassembly.  If anyone has any comments, concerns, advice....Please let me know.  Thank you all....Mike

mqtsteve

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:33 PM »
Hey Mike,
Looks a little rusty.  Was the disc valve in there?  Does the transmission/crank spin freely now or is it still stuck?  Good luck, Steve

stingray68

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
Hey Steve,
  The valve was there and I have included two pics of it attached.  Also, the transmission and kick start all spin real nice.  The crank has a little movement now, but not much.  I have two tasks ahead of me at the moment.  1)  Remove the circlip from the kick start shaft.  What is the best way to do this?  2) I need to remove the piston from the connecting rod. What do you recommend for that?  From there I think I can separate the two sides of the gearbox and see what's keeping this from moving.....Thanks for the quick response!!  Mike

mqtsteve

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
Mike,
There are pliers made for removing circlips/snap rings.  They're not expensive available at any auto parts store.  http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-4-in-1-Snap-Ring-Pliers-Plier-Set-Circlip-Combination-Retaining-Clip-0-SHIP-/171493822195?nav=SEARCH 
There is a small spring clip that holds the piston pin in place.  Regular needle nose pliers can be used to remove them.  It looks like the crank bearings are rusted and causing the problem.  Could be the rod (big end) bearing too.  Looks like a complete rebuild is needed bearings, seals/o-rings and gaskets.  Hopefully you can reuse the transmission bearings.  Good luck hope you get it back together and running, Steve

stingray68

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
Well, so far so good!  I am ready to separate the two halves of the crankcase, but the gasket and sealant are still doing a great job after all these years.  Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone has any good advice on separating the crankcase, but still keep control of it and not having pieces come crashing to the floor.  I was thinking about putting the heat gun to it to help soften up the sealant. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.  Thank you all....Mike

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
The key will be to have it in the right orientation so that the fewest things come loose upon separation. I expect you want it laying flat on one side or the other. You may be able to tell how to orient from the parts manual, but wisdom from our 90 members would be best!
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
That would sure be something if all 90 members replied!  :P
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

mqtsteve

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:06 AM »
Go slow.  Use a rubber mallet to tap around the seal.  It will take some time.  Concentrate on the area near the dowel pins.  There is one in front and one in rear of the crankcase.  Use the parts manual to locate the pins.  Go slow!  DON'T use a chisel or screwdriver to wedge them apart.  That will damage the cases.  Best to have the right side (clutch) down or the guts may fall out.  Have you read the service manual?  It will answer some of these questions. 
http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=18
Take your time.  Don't smash it while tapping, a little heat may help.  Remember it's aluminum and can be damaged easily.  Good luck take your time, Steve
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:52:15 AM by mqtsteve »

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755