Author Topic: 50CC Bridgestone Help  (Read 6091 times)

mountain

• Trade Count: (0)
50CC Bridgestone Help
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:15 AM »
Good Morning,
   I just picked up an old Bridgestone for my 12 year old daughter and I to get running together. I can not find a model number on the bike anywhere or a vin tag. I know nothing about these little bikes (i have restored a 57 International pick up). I am looking for a jump off point to start on this little guy. I am missing the key so I guess that would be the first hurdle, I think I can cross the wires to make the connection until I can get a key. Where is the best place to get a service manual for my bike so I can figure out where the pointand and condenser is. I want to be careful because this is a nice complete bike. Thank you to anyone who can get me on the right path. Thanks again!

Jason Welch
Pennsylvania 

mountain

Re: 50CC Bridgestone Help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
OK,  I started digging around on this site and I found some good info. I think this is the BS-7 sport, maybe a 1964 or so. That is a starting point at least, now I just have to figure out where the points are so I can try to get some spark.

paul

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
In the manuals/articles section of this site you will find a test of the BS7. Congratulations

Bikenstein

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:51:16 PM »
Welcome to the site. If you haven't found it yet, check here  
 http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2    

mountain

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:53 AM »
Well I decided to play with the bike a little bit last night and can you believe I have spark, not just spark but good spark. I can not believe that little bike is throwing blue flame without having to even look at the points, I never get that lucky. I put a little fuel in the chamber and it fired right up! Amazing, I guess Bridgestone knew what they were doing when they built these bikes. Now I have to take the tank off and clean it out, maybe even put a poly coating in it depending on how bad it is.  I may be able to take her out for a spin this weekend. Then I need to find a title for a 1964 BS7,  ideas?  Thanks!

MTN

duckman86

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
When I needed a key for mine I went to the locksmith and had them make one. She put one grove in a blank key and it worked... and said this is an older style ignition that no one uses anymore. I'm glad she knew what it was, it cost me 5 dollars. As for the title, here in MN we have paperwork to fill out to title it if you bought it from someone else without a title. I had to take 4 pictures from each side and send them in but they gave me a temporary title instantly when I handed them paperwork. Do you know the person you bought it from?

mountain

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
I do not know him well but I am sure if I contacted him if I need something he would be willing to help. He seemed like a decent guy and he does work for me on my campus. I only paid $300 bucks for the bike so I am not complaining. He said he never tried to start it because he didn't have a key. I just disconnected the switch and kicked her over, gotta love that :).  I have to figure out how to get the air box out of the frame (what an odd design) so I can get the carb off to clean it, it is varnished right up. I am pretty excited, it is like Xmas when it pops off. Thanks again for the help!

MTN

duckman86

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
That's cool, I haven't done any 50's, but for my 90 I sprayed the inside carb down with brake cleaner and it worked perfectly.

mountain

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »
So I pulled off the carb and cleaned it real good last night, what a mess it was. I think I used an entire can of carb cleaner on it. I pulled off the tank and washed it out, there is some rust in it so I am going to go through the 3 part cleaning, etching, and poly coating system. I figured if I am going to get her going I don't want to have to fight rust in the tank forever. I have used that poly coating system in my 57 International truck and my 51 Chevy and it works really well. I think I am going to rock the patina'd look since it is not beat up at all. Maybe I will even throw a coat of wax on her. I will keep everyone updated!  Thanks!

MTN
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:08:43 AM by mountain »

dragoncrazy

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
I am a resent revisit to this site. I have a bike like this. If I remember correctly..this is a B D-7. "d" stands for deluxe. It is electric & kick start. It is probably registerable to drive if you can get it titled. I am also in Pa. so I will let you know how I make out trying to get mine titled. I do have a signed title but it was from two owners or so ago. It was also originally titled in Md.

Gallery

Views:335
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1471
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1805
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1871
Comments (0)