Author Topic: Hello from South Wales, U.K.  (Read 35289 times)

ziggy stardust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hello from South Wales, U.K.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
Steve (Reed),

What's going on in South Wales? Not a lot really that's positive.

Over the last twenty five years since the coal mines were closed by Thatcher's government putting thousands on the dole the coal tips and open cast mining areas have been landscaped, trees planted, rubbish removed and now it's looking good again and the air is clean. Love riding my bikes on a good day as the roads are quieter than those in England.

Investment came to South Wales with the aid of Welsh grants, many companies have served their term and have moved on looking for other countries to invest in where labour is cheap and plentiful. High unemployment at the moment, bread and butter jobs have also gone to countries like India, Brazil and Poland.

Immigration is a big problem as the government have let too many in and they compete with our own.

Swansea Town footall club are in the Premiership and not doing too bad, but it's early days. 

Swansea has had massive development and looks good but Cardiff is in another league, billions have been spent there modernising. 

Z

ziggy stardust

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
Pipped at the post. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Placed my bid with 8 seconds to go and I was the highest bidder then someone came in on the very last second probably using some kind of software and won the GTR, gutted. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Oh well I'll just have to go and give the cat a good kicking. :)

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
that sucks .don't kick the cat with out your safety boots on !

ztnoo

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
A good sniping tool will virtually beat a manually placed bid 999 out of 1000 times.
Technology marches on, whether we like it or not.
If you really want to be a well positioned bidder, its something you must consider using, or you'll get left in the dust almost every time.
C'est la vie.

I am sorry you didn't win the bike, though.
Communicate with Mike Anderson.
He's got a couple in the corral ready to start working on.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
all i did when i won my 175 was have a few (way) to many beers and put such a stupid max bid on that no one would out bid i ended up paying $1200 for a $600 bike though don't regret it  a bit .NOW

Offline steve

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »
Ziggy, sorry to hear that you didn't win the GTR...it looks to be a very good bike for the price. Anyway, I'm in the UK too and will keep an eye out for you...maybe we'll have a chat about it at Stafford in a couple of weeks, presumeably, you'll be on the VJMC stand?

Steve

ztnoo

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 06:49:06 PM »
And so it goes.......I missed the mark as far as a winning bid....it was higher what I said it would be a hell of a deal....
C'est la vie.
2,827.00 GBP =  4,370.37 USD
The buyer perceived higher value....

If you are seriously hunting for a good example of a vintage machine and are SERIOUS, regardless of make, everyone just needs to decide what you are willing to pay.....absolute top dollar, and take advantage of everything that's available RIGHT NOW, to cut the deal for YOU.
If someone else utilizing the same tools decides to bid more, well you are going to start a new search.

This is about upping your level of seriousness and commitment.

Boiled to the essence: its always about money.....regardless of currency type.
C'est la vie.

Regards,
Steve

reed

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »
Ziggy stardust
Thanks for the information on South Wales and on the football i am a MUFC fan for years but i have been watching Swansea FC.
Its great to see a welsh club in the premier league i get four games a week from the UK.
All the best.
Steve.

ziggy stardust

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the lines of sympathy on not winning the GTR, I'm sure another will turn up.

In reply to ztnoo I am serious about adding another bike to my collection, not just any make though as I try for the rarer bikes so the GTR was just right. I thought what I bid was a good price but obviously the winner was prepared to pay more.

Steve, I will be at Stafford buy not on the VJMC stand, I got an invitation to show one of my RE5s on the Suzuki Owner's Club stand so will be hovering around there. Drop in and say hello. Have we met before Steve?

Reed, after reading my post on South Wales I may have sounded a little negative, but that's how it is. :(

Z

Offline steve

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »
Ziggy...no, we haven't actually met but I'm the same Steve who occasionally visits the Taunton and Bridgewater site...you may remember, I have a B8 and W1.
I will pop along and say hello.

steve

ziggy stardust

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »
Hi Steve, yes I know you now.

I particularly remember your Kawasaki with the 'Kawasaki Aircraft' tank badge.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
import one you wont regret it my suggestions are if you are left with the option of importation buy a non runner or one for restoration that way you know that it needs work and you wont be disappointed when something is wrong broke or missing . a friend of mine imported a 1969 t120 at the same time i imported the gtr from the states his was supposed to be restored running and nice when he got it there was spray can black everywhere and the carbs were corroded and full of crusty old fuel it had not run in years .he paid in excess of $10000 and by the time he got it up and running it had cost more than to buy one here he was not happy .importation can be a very painful process but patience is the key .if you want to buy a runner buy it from someone on this site .        

ziggy stardust

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
Yes Coxy I have had a rethink, I'm in no hurry as I was only window shopping when I came across the GTR on eBay.

I've already had two offers of bikes, one from the States that I dismissed initially and a U.K. bike but as you say it could work out better for me to import, I'll do a little homework on shipping costs etc. within the next few days. ;)

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:59 PM »
also think about this the pound is 2ish  times the value of the dollar (not to sure exactly)you could get a real good one .p.s. do you think you could post some pics of the stafford show i hear its really good cheers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:16:36 PM by coxy »

ztnoo

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »
If anyone is trying to keep track of currency values, check out http://www.xe.com/
It gives real time values.
It's invaluable if you are trying to make decisions about what and when to purchase something in another currency.

1.00 GBP = 1.54688 USD
2011-10-06 01:19 UTC

1.00 USD = 0.646489 GBP
2011-10-06 01:20 UTC
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:40:06 AM by ztnoo »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »
Also whenever I import any motorcycle parts or a motorcycle in this case the parasitic government adds 20% tax and a customs handling charge. >:(

Photos of Stafford? Depends if I win anything. :) :) :) :) :)

Z
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:30:46 AM by ziggy stardust »

ztnoo

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 09:51:24 AM »
Unfortunately, we here in the US are becoming more familiar daily with "the parasitic government".
That's reflected in our terrible economy.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
its the same here i had to pay gst 3 times and multitude of other taxes the bike cost $2000 and it cost $3300 to get it to oz shipping +taxes .i know this will work to oz but not shore about the uk .if you could get the receipt for less than $1000 there is no gst .or maybe send the motor and wheels separately as parts and this way you could also buy a bike with out title which would open up more options   its a idea anyway .p.s thanks for that link steve it will come in handy
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:35:51 PM by coxy »

ziggy stardust

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
Well would you believe it? Another GTR has turned up in the U.K. and again it's an import from the U.S. :)

This one is in better condition than the last and the price is higher, :( the owner has never started it but the engine is free. ::) I'll be negotiating with the seller tomorrow. :-X

One thing that I haven't found out is what parts on the GTR are impossible to find or almost impossible? :-\

Z

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
seems to be chain guard right carb cover , good mufflers are hard to come across
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:27:24 AM by coxy »

Gallery

Views:336
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1471
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1805
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1871