Author Topic: Sequoia... Bridgestone's Very Own Bigfoot  (Read 50436 times)

Offline slawsonb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Re: Sequoia... Bridgestone's Very Own Bigfoot
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »
The front fender also appears longer (a la GTR).
...bert

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »
.... and now that I look closer, the taillight also has the shape of a 350.  ::)
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

paul

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 09:24:12 PM »
are we sure the second from right is a BS? Could it be another two-stroke with a tank badge? Has anyone ever seen a BS175 with dual instruments that looked this "professional". And is the last bike on the right , a BS? It has exposed spring shocks.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
The only thing I have really concluded from this discussion is that you guys have much better vision than I do! (or maybe better imaginations)...lol
...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
Second bike from the right, the twin clocks have distinct silver top rims and a silver base mount.  Is it a Suzuki T500 Cobra, the clocks look right and sit high above the headlamp. Also has a circular Suzuki 'S' badge in the right place on the tank and the tank shape/knee grips seem to match. Not 100% sure about the downpipes/engine fins though.
     Brian.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:55:44 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline CL-100

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
  • CL-100
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 06:54:57 PM »
I thought those gauges looked familiar.  I think Bryan might be right about it being a Suzuki. Here's a pic of a 305 I used to own.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
Good job guys!

I see now that the 2 bikes at the end on the right side seem to be set further apart from the Bridgestones that are spaced in a tighter group. So much for me thinking they were all stones.

Oh well, my eyes were tired from the constant fight to get them unglued from the other end!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:23:34 PM by moonpup »

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 07:46:45 PM »
If those bikes are new, the Suzuki would be a 1968. The 305's were made in '68 and '69. Turn signals were optional in '68 but standard in '69.

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
On second thought maybe those two bikes on the end are used, perhaps trade-ins, which might explain why they're separate from the Bridgestones.  If the Bridgestones are gold would that make them 1970's?

Offline Mopar392

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »
CL-100,

Your Suzuki 305 is a nice bike and fast...Thanks

Lee

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
Thanks. It is fast and is a smaller bike that handles well. 6 speed transmission and the best drum brakes of any bike I've ever had.

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
My other bikes have been disc brake types, but I have always been impressed by the braking performance of a GTR. If you have the stones (pun intended) to grab a total handfull and footfull (is that a word?) a GTR will make your nose bleed. So since its very competitive with the disc bikes I've had, I'm surprised that the Suzuki would be better, I don't doubt the comparison since you've owned both. Guess it depends on how hard you grab/push and how progressive the brakes are, etc. Vely Intelestink! Always learning something on here. Thanks Roland.
...bert

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
     The downpipes on the 305 Suzuki do look a better match to the post card. The side fin shape on the head is very similar to the BS 350 as Karl pointed out above. What model name was the 305, not sure if we got those here in the UK.

The GTRs brakes and handling once saved me from a very embarrassing situation.  When I marshalled at Oulton Park racetrack, we would sneak a few laps in when returning to the pits for lunch. I once came up out of a dip (Deer Leap) at high speed to find to find all the others had been stopped on the track right in front of me and a grand stand.... Oh S*^t !!!,.... I stood on the brakes for all I was worth and locked everything up, she snaked but stayed upright, just, and I stopped inches behind the others. I can still imagine the cheer I would have got had I thrown it up the track. Phew !! ::) ::)

Brian
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:18:52 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline CL-100

• CL-100
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
Suzuki made two versions of the 305.  The low pipe version was called the "Raider" and the scrambler (high pipe) version was the "Laredo".  As far as the drum brakes go on the Suzuki, in my experience they have no equal.  It is a physically much smaller bike than a GTR or GTO.  I still like my Bridgestones better though.

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »
Roland,
  Thanks for model names, don't remember those at all and found this   southwalessectionvmcc.co.uk/Library/Bike reports/Suzuki/Suzuki T305/Suzuki T305.htm  which confirms they were not generally available in the UK.  Also confirms the good braking you mention.  You are reprieved on this forum by your final statement   :D ;D :D
     Am now 99% sure second bike from right is a 305 Suzuki, the splay on the downpipes look right..
  Brian.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 05:53:09 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.

Offline dcr

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »
I bought the Ebay item since I have a bike from that place. Figured they would go well together. I scanned it on a digital scanner and enlarged it, but it is still not very clear when enlarged. I emailed a copy to Moonpup and he agreed it was too grainy when enlarged.

The seller picked it up at a flea market in upstate Pennsylvania.
1966 175 DT and 1968 350 GTR

Offline slawsonb

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
You might try taking a hi res photo of the postcard (I think thats the item). That might work better than scanning depending on your scanner's resolution. If you have a tripod that will help with capturing the image allowing you to get the framing and focus right before snapping.
...bert

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »
Photography makes very good copies of old B&W photos, also.   

Another tip; when scanning a print item like a newspaper or postcard, set the software to "descreen". You'll find it under image adjustments somewhere.  That makes a significant difference in the results. Of course, if the original isn't clear, there isn't much you can do.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Thought I’d toss out one more thought and delve into a bit of speculation based the new GTO’s pictured on this great postcard.

First off, here we have a a fairly large dealership carrying the Bridgestone line, unlike a lot of the bikes being sold through smaller shops that might carry one or two at a time. With GTR production halted to introduce and promote the “New for 1970” GTO’s, this dealer got his hands on 5 of these, with one that appears to be a Sequoia green model.  That’s 1 out of 5 or 20% of his GTO order in the Sequoia color.

This is the point where the speculation begins.  ;D  Now, knowing that the production numbers for the 1970 GTOs are estimated to be 1000 units and if we go with the 20% figure, that means that AT BEST, Bridgestone might have made 200 Sequoia green GTOs. However, I’m pretty sure that since most of the smaller shops were probably unable to afford inventorying a wide selection of the different models, if they did carry a GTO, it was more likely the gold model which would mean even smaller numbers for the green bikes. No wonder these things are so hard to find!

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Mike.
         Thinking about the green production numbers from a different angle. If we accept there were about 500 white GTOs made, many of which are now owned by forum members, I believe the number of green GTOs could not have been as high as 200 (mores the pity) otherwise, surely, there would still be many more about. Based on the number of 350 green'uns we know about (almost zero), the number produced could be as low as 10 or 20. Maybe a trial batch for Rockfords, who would have specified the colours and numbers they wanted.

In our, lets say 'more mature' eyes, it is an appealing, attractive colour but would it have sold to younger buyers in the early 70s. I probably wouldn't have gone for a green one as an alternative to the gold in those days (not that I had the option :'( :'( :(.
  Keep searching Mike, they're out there somewhere.

Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1694
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)