Author Topic: gto stuck stinger removal  (Read 1426 times)

Offline coxy

• coxy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
gto stuck stinger removal
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
gday all
has anyone had extremely stuck stingers in there GTO and what is the best way to remove the stingers without damage to the mufflers or stingers ?
ive thought about boiling the mufflers but the shape of them wont fit into my container I used to pickle the GTR mufflers and I don't want to hit the mufflers  with a naked flame 
cheers

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
Re: gto stuck stinger removal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
         Bin there, done that.  One of the stingers on my GTO was stuck, found the perforated section inside had expanded and wouldn't come through the internal baffles.     So, how to pull it out?
         The secret weapon was a 1/2'' (12mm) Rawl Bolt (Concrete or masonary anchor). The size relates to the bolt size not the OD of the expanding section.  This was then fitted inside the rear of the tailpipe. Used a large washer under the bolt head and a short piece of tube over the exposed section of the bolt, to expand it and lock it into the tailpipe.
        Then used a large flat spanner against the washer and a rubber mallet to knock it out. Eventually came out with no damage to the stinger or exhaust.   Rounded up the expanded section, good clean and put it back good as new.                             Brian.

Just add,  the perforated stinger section inside the exhaust is lighter gauge metal than the tailpipe. The holes create a weak point which twists and buckles when attempting to free the stinger. This expands the pipe stopping it from coming through the baffles.  A design fault really.  Fortunately the tailpipe is heavy gauge tube and stands up well to having the rawl bolt locked into it.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:36:24 AM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
The problem with the stuck GTO stingers is that they usually have to be twisted at least a 1/4 turn to get the stud into position so it can be removed and that is what buckles the thinner inner section.
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Yes
Though the bolt should supply the grip for leverage as well
I didn't want to use vice grips or stillsons on the stingers
Maybe I should take the mufflers over to the local chrome platers where they have a pickling tank to clean out mufflers before chroming unless that would damage the finish on the mufflers ?
Cheers

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »
           I had freed up the stinger so it could be turned by the time I resorted to the rawl bolt but you may be right, Mike, most likely to be that 1st 1/4 turn that distorts the inner section.

The bolt can't be used to turn the stinger, it simply unscrews or tightens but you could try gripping the outer section of the rawl bolt to turn the stinger . Think I used a rubber strap wrench to apply the turning force to the chrome stinger, degreasing the tube first.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 03:54:12 AM »
The pins on the stingers are missing snapped or ground off ? I think somebody glued them in

Gallery

Views:219
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)