Author Topic: BS MII-RS Barn Find  (Read 1226 times)

bwagehoft

• Trade Count: (0)
BS MII-RS Barn Find
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
Hello All! I am new to the Bridgestone scene. I have worked on bikes before with my grandfather, but I felt like this summer I needed to take the training wheels off and do a bike on my own. I found a BS Mach II - RS on CL that someone pulled outta a storage shed. Its definitely a barn bike and I am definitely in over my head here.

I have enough experience to do the mechanical breakdown and cleaning, but the electrical is giving me problems. I am super lost there and its starting to just take up space in the garage. Work has also ramped up which is good for me, but bad for my projects. Any advice would be great. If I can't figure it out I'll probably have to let someone take it off my hands for a reasonable price so they can do right by these bikes. I've seen them up close in good condition and it deserves it.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
Re: BS MII-RS Barn Find
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »
There are two service manuals downloadable from this site if you haven't already done so; The 50-175 Service Manual and the 175 Technical Manual.  Both have the electrical schematic with color codes annotated, which will help.  You may need to replace the rectifier as few survived the years, especially if stored poorly.  There are a few threads on here about replacing the selenium rectifier with diodes (175/200/350 are the same).  However, you can at least get it running with a non-working rectifier, your battery just won't stay charged.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline slawsonb

• Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
Don't give up on doing the resto yourself. There are a bunch of willing helpful hands on here, so ask questions as they come up. I'll bet you'll do fine...
...bert

Offline Steve Swan

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
Ditto what Karl and Bert said.  Take your time and focus on one area of the bike at a time, not the whole bike, that way the job is not daunting or overwhelming.  Make a list of the work the bike needs, and using the online Parts Book, make another list of the parts you will need.  i don't know what your budget is, but assuming new wiring harnesses are available, my suggestion would be to purchase one.  Regarding the chassis, pretty much anytime an old bike is resurrected from the grave, it will need a dismantle, cleaning, and then new grease in all the moving pivots, joints, e.g., swing arm, steering head, brake pivot joints, cables, etc.  As you dismantle, lay the parts out in their order of assembly in a thoughtful, orderly manner; have a place dedicated in your garage where the parts can rest undisturbed as your work schedule permits time to work on the bike.  Know that projects such as these are not instant gratification, and that such projects require patience, persistence, and asking questions for the things you need to learn how to do.  if you approach the project with this sort of attitude, you will have the opportunity to meet some extremely knowledgeable folks on this site who can save yo unnecessary brain damage, and when you are done with the project you will have a sense of accomplishment such as you've not experienced before.  the first time you start the bike and hear it run, and go for your first ride will be like none other.

fahrkle

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 02:05:14 AM »
Hello - Where are you located?

bwagehoft

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:13:40 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement and advice. I am starting to get to it. Slowly, but surely. I am still gonna keep it up for interested parties until it is completed, but I’m not gonna put it on CL or anything. I am located in central IL about 30min south east of Peoria, near Bloomington.

paul

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Great oppurtunity. Plenty of help on this web site .

Gallery

Views:218
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1360
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1690
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1755
Comments (0)