Author Topic: Australia's Crackdown on Asbestos  (Read 2658 times)

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
Australia's Crackdown on Asbestos
« on: August 04, 2017, 10:19:50 AM »
Saw this article on Hemmings about how this was affecting the collector car market there and wondered if any of our members down yonder have had any negative experiences with this.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/08/04/crackdown-on-asbestos-essentially-halts-collector-car-exports-to-australia/

Also I'm now curious as to how much asbestos would be in our bikes. Brake pads? Any gaskets? Clutch discs?
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline srpackrat49

• Full Bridgestone Member
Re: Australia's Crackdown on Asbestos
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
First they took away there guns,,, now there old cars....  I think i have some old shoes that have that stuff in them????? :o

Offline RayK

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »
Moonpup
Haven't heard of this one. I can still import (via the USPS Ripoff -thankyou Lance Armstrong) BS brakeshoes. Don't know about cars. I do know of several older mechanics with Mesothelioma from blowing out brake linings.

Packrat, I don't know what you have been told re guns in Australia. All I know is that I have 4 long arms which are registered and in a locked cabinet. I use them for hunting and clay target shooting. My friend has 3 target pistols also registered and locked up. I am glad that there are very few illegal weapons in Australia and feel safer for it, unlike some other countries where innocent people get shot because of lax gun laws. Guns here are used for hunting and target shooting, not for killing other humans.
I realise this comment may be off topic but I think people should know the facts (real not alternative).
Ray
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
I best order some new shoes before it really hits the fan

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »
           As far as I remember, the asbestos issue hadn't hit the fan when our bikes were built, so it's quite likely there is some in the parts mentioned. I've worked with it, sawn it, cut it, filed it and blown the dust away and I'm still here, now it's treated worse than nuclear waste - God help us.
         Recently took a grey fiberglass tube down to the tip. Guys there were convinced it was asbestos (they'd been on a special training course), despite me smashing it against the concrete floor with no effect. Had to cut it up (lol) and double bag in special sacks before they would take it.
         Wouldn't be surprised if f/glass, rockwool or even todays microfibre fabrics were found to equally harmful in due course or am I just getting cynical in my old age - probably ;D
                  Brian
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:53:38 PM by BRT-GTR »
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
The same crazy paranoia exists over mercury.  Just a few years ago, I watched as the police almost shut down a restaurant because a couple of kids had a little bit of mercury in a container they were playing with and someone in another booth noticed and called the police. 

The US government made it even worse a few years ago when they banned the import of many items from China containing lead, primarily due to the large number of toys containing paint with lead, which made sense.  However, the ban was extended to the 50cc mini-cycles being imported from China that were being sold primarily for children's use. The justification was that there was lead in the batteries and there was lead in some of the steel compounds in the engine.  They completely shut down a whole sector of the cycle industry overnight. It probably significantly reduced the number of children exposed to motorcycles at an early age and therefore reduced the number of future adult motorcycle riders (and potential Bridgestone collectors).
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

Offline coxy

• coxy
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
yesterday on a talk radio station they said that a large amount of car parts containing asbestos was still getting into the country and are having a crack down .this is the first public announcement I had heard apart from what has been posted here
some things I find funny on the news a while ago we had some issues with houses containing asbestos from Mr fluffy .the government had a buy back scheme  for these houses. on the news report of this they showed a excavator demolishing a house another bloke all suited up with a garden hose splashing a bit of water around  supposedly to suppress  the dust ?
you also need these days an asbestos awareness' certificate these days to become a asphalt worker, traffic controller, bitumen spray tuck driver,  roller driver, line marker, sign installer  etc etc etc just over kill

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
The good ol' days!
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline RayK

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
It's happening, long delays at Port Botany Sydney while they check brake shoes and wait for it - head gaskets on imported bikes. Idiots!!!
BS 175DT, BS 50 Sport x 1, BS 90 Mountain x 3, BS 90 Deluxe, BS 90 Sport x1, BS 60 Sport, BS 90 Trail, BS100 Sport.

Offline old smokey

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
I imagine they would condemn the house I grew up in. Built in the mid 50s and the attic was insulated with vermiculite. Plenty of fine dust floating around every time we went there for storage, running additional wiring, etc....
'67 350 GTR undergoing repairs with a '75 Yamaha TX500 front end

Offline hardy

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »
I Work in the North-western Australia and had a bit of time between jobs so popped into a (now mostly) abandoned town called Wittenoom. I was able to drive right up to the old asbestos mine, through the tailings without seeing one fence or gate. Asbestos in its raw unprocessed form everywhere, and a lot of evidence of tourists camping in the area.

I guess if we are so concerned about asbestos in head gaskets, we should consider fencing off half of Australia too asbestos still exists especially through the Karijini ranges.

I understand the health issues caused but how far do you go? Food for thought.

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1362
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1692
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757
Comments (0)