Author Topic: Tool kit; 350 GTR  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Steve Swan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Bridgestone Member
Tool kit; 350 GTR
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:50:47 AM »
i was able to score off ebay what appears to be 6 pieces of the factory tool kit for the GTR...? it's kind of hard to see, but the screwdriver handle has the Bridgestone logo on it.  i would appreciate your appraisal of the parts shown in the pics i have posted to confirm if they are in fact GTR or not.  i am on the search for the rest of the tools to complete the kit, however they seem to be at the least uncommon and generally not seen on ebay.  Perchance, does anyone have any of the tools i am looking for that you would consider selling?  Thanks in advance for your replies and help.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:11:13 AM by Steve Swan »

Offline davis

• Desire for a better world.
Re: Tool kit; 350 GTR
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
There is a wrench you don't have on Ebay. I believe the screw driver handle is larger than yours (and wooden) for the 350, more like the picture in the parts manual. Check with MoPar, he sold me the tools I needed.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
There is a wrench you don't have on Ebay. I believe the screw driver handle is larger than yours (and wooden) for the 350, more like the picture in the parts manual. Check with MoPar, he sold me the tools I needed.

Davis, thanks for your reply.   I looked on ebay under "Bridgestone 350 GTR" "wrench" "tool" "kit" and did not see anything related to these key words.  Could you post the link or ebay item number?   Thanks!

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »

Davis, thanks for your reply.   I looked on ebay under "Bridgestone 350 GTR" "wrench" "tool" "kit" and did not see anything related to these key words.  Could you post the link or ebay item number?   Thanks!

Davis, i just found the 14x17 wrench, thank you for the tip and your confirmation on the screwdriver handle to be woden.   I suspicioned as much having looked at the parts book, but knowing sketches can be depictions,  i was uncertain.   I'll contact MoPar and see what help he may be able to offer.  Thank you!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
  • Master Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
My GTOs' tool kit had the red plastic handle in it. Could it be that the early kits when the GTR's were first introduced had wooden handles and then were at some later date changed to the plastic handles? Any thoughts/theories/facts?

Does anyone have a comparison pic of the two side by side?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:46:38 PM by moonpup »
Confucius say... "Better to have Bridgestone than Kidneystone"

Offline BRT-GTR

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »
        I don't recall my original GTR (pre 1100) having a wooden screwdriver handle, it was plastic like the top photo.
     It was early enough to have wooden bearings !! :D ;D :D ::)                      Brian.
Unspoiled by progress.
I'm so glad I grew up in the 60s & 70s. I did so much stupid stuff and there's no record of it.............Anywhere !!

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 06:05:15 PM »
Sketches in both factory parts books (don't see a print date) i have  depict  what  appears  to be a wooden screwdriver handle.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
i scanned the page from the parts book i have so we can look at them together.  what i have learned over the decades from my studies of parts books and talking to folks who've worked in the m/c mfgr'ing industry, the sketches in parts books are depictions of parts intended to make up the motorcycle.  sketches of parts depicted in parts books are not always exactly what an actual part may look like, e.g., the wooden screwdriver handle.  typical of industry practice, factory manuals were being put together before actual motorcycles were being assembled on the assembly line.  it was not uncommon some parts could be a prototype or in the case of the sketch of what appears possibly a wooden screwdriver handle, that is what the factory had on hand at the time for sketch artists to use as the sample for their sketching efforts.  or a part depicted in a sketch represented the part that would be fitted to the motorcycle intended for production when in fact the part depicted was actually sketched from a sample part that was intended for a pre-production unit or a prototype unit.  not that i want to belabor the point with this trivia, yet what i want to state is parts one sees in a parts book may not be exactly the same as the one purchased form a dealer.

in any event, back to the 350 tool kit.  in the pic of the six parts i posted, when i compare what i have to the parts depicted in the parts book, it appears i have two parts that are not shown in the parts book.  Specifically, the straight (bent from use) round bar that i would suspect is intended to insert through and then turn that large straight two-ended socket.  The other part i have that is not depicted in the parts book is that single-ended flat screwdriver blade. 

The parts book depicts the single-ended large JIS blade i have in my picture, and the parts book depicts the other screwdriver blade to be double-ended, i.e., small JIS on one end and flat blade on the other (which i do not have.)

so, i guess my two question are:  1.  have you fellows seen that straight round bar in your original tool kits?  2.  have you fellows seen that double-ended screwdriver blade in your original tool kits?

the other offset socket wrench and that points wrench are proverbial gems.... :) 

finally, at the top of the sketch, next to the right of the large straight two-ended socket, are two tools;  one is a bolt, the other appears as a pin....?  Are these tools used for timing, i.e., locating crankshaft position...?  if not, then what are these two tools used for?  (i can certainly easily see them readily lost due to their size...)

your thoughts and experience are appreciated in advance!

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
In the 350 Owner's manual found in the downloads and dated May 1967, you'll see these 2 pictures of the screw driver/handle

The first pic is from page 36 and seen in Fig.27.

The second is a shot of all the tools on page 49.

The third pic is the parts manual drawing for reference.

Both in my opinion more resemble the red plastic handle than they do the "drawing" of the handle in the Parts Manual.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:46:24 PM by moonpup »

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »
Steve, I've come to determine that the drawing of the tool kit in the Parts Manual is not the most reliable/accurate depiction of what should be included in the kit. The Owner's Manual picture is the one I'd trust.

You'll see in that one that you have 3 screw driver blades which consist of one flat blade and 2 Phillips headed blades.

The bolt & pin at the top are indeed the tools used for timing.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 07:24:31 PM »
Steve, I've come to determine that the drawing of the tool kit in the Parts Manual is not the most reliable/accurate depiction of what should be included in the kit. The Owner's Manual picture is the one I'd trust.

You'll see in that one that you have 3 screw driver blades which consist of one flat blade and 2 Phillips headed blades.

The bolt & pin at the top are indeed the tools used for timing.

Mike, thank you for your kind reply and time spent loading the pics from the Owner's Manual.  i did not think to look at the Owner's Manual !  Looking at the OM now, i see those three blades (and the handle), so i am going with the belief i need the small JIS blade to complete my screwdriver setup. 

Also, looking at the OM, i do not see that round bar, so i am going to assume until shown otherwise that round bar is not part of the GTR tool kit.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:28:32 PM by Steve Swan »

Offline BS Mechanic

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
This is the best I can do trying to remember from 1968 what the tool kit in the new 350 I purchased contained.  The tools were like the picture above from the owner's manual.  The wood handled screwdriver would be correct for earlier 90 models, but not the 350.  The 350 screwdriver handle was red plastic with the BS emblem.   I'm 99% sure the 90 standard I had before the 350 did have the wood handle, but I sold that bike in about 1967.  The 350 kit does not contain a plain round bar for driving the spark plug wrench.  The larger screw driver bit served that function.

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:56 PM »
This is the best I can do trying to remember from 1968 what the tool kit in the new 350 I purchased contained.  The tools were like the picture above from the owner's manual.  The wood handled screwdriver would be correct for earlier 90 models, but not the 350.  The 350 screwdriver handle was red plastic with the BS emblem.   I'm 99% sure the 90 standard I had before the 350 did have the wood handle, but I sold that bike in about 1967.  The 350 kit does not contain a plain round bar for driving the spark plug wrench.  The larger screw driver bit served that function.

Thank you for for sharing your experience!  the plain round bar won't be part of the kit.

Offline moonpup

• Laidback Purist
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
On a side note, I believe the individual in this photo has taken a nasty spill and may have suffered a bump to the noggin which has resulted in him trying to remove the drain plug bolt with a screwdriver.

Hopefully the “fog” in his head cleared up soon and he was able to begin his search for a right side carb cover to replace the one that now has a hole in it from the brake pedal.

And to think that all this was documented in the Owner’s Manual..... wow!   banana

Offline Steve Swan

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
On a side note, I believe the individual in this photo has taken a nasty spill and may have suffered a bump to the noggin which has resulted in him trying to remove the drain plug bolt with a screwdriver.

Hopefully the “fog” in his head cleared up soon and he was able to begin his search for a right side carb cover to replace the one that now has a hole in it from the brake pedal.

And to think that all this was documented in the Owner’s Manual..... wow!   banana

HA!!!  good story Mike!  i noticed the same thing, wondering what business a screwdriver was having in that area, and wondering what 17 year old know-nothing owner back in the day might do with a screwdriver to change the oil.  then i figured the person holding the screwdriver must be using it as a pointer to the drain plug....  probably too sensible of an explanation.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:41:25 PM by Steve Swan »

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon

Views:1694
Comments (0)
By: Perry L Anderson

Views:1757