Author Topic: BS 200 Ice Racer  (Read 32957 times)

scrambler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: BS 200 Ice Racer
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
Much better results this time. Unfortunately I was the only one in my class again. I did talk to someone who has an eligible bike, a YZ125,  and was looking to get it racing yet this winter. We may be talking again on Monday to order him up some ice screws for his tires. I might just get to race against someone yet!

One major accomplishment of the day was that I didn't have to pull a single tool out of the box! Bike started. Warmed it up and it was ready to go. It still doesn't like low RPM's while idling around the pits but I can live with that. I did switch to ATF in the gearbox and that seemed to do the trick and had no problems with the kicker. Last weekend the kickstart lever was hit or miss. I think the cold weather made my oil thick enough to cause some problems until it warmed up. Besides that my only changes was tightening up the leaky exhaust, switching the 125 main to a 120, and raising the needle back to the center notch from the top notch.

This weeks track was half the length of last weeks track. 1200 foot perimeter. I made the mistake of trying to run it like last week. I was using 3rd gear and that put me out of the 175's powerband. I was getting around the track in the first moto but by the time I could spool it up on the short staights it was time to slow down a bit for the turn. Wasn't working well. Lap time was 28 seconds.

Moto #2 and I was off. This time I left it in 2nd gear, yes 2nd gear. The bike was SCREAMING but I was able to power out of the turns and accelerate down the staights. This time I really felt like I was moving and was really getting a feel for it. I was starting to trust the tires. I know I feel like I'm leaning over much more than I probably am but its such a crazy feeling leaning over that far on the ice.  Lap time came down to 24 seconds. I think that's a huge gain in lap time. Someone timed the 450cc bikes in the next class up and they were doing 18-22 second laps.

Now if you do the math my average speed was about 34mph. You are probably thinking, "That's not very fast!" Well I'm going to say it is!

I should gear it down a bit to get off the line better but I don't think it will gain me anything while on the track. Anyone know of something that might swap in on the rear? I think I have a 42t on there now and a 14t on the front.

fun fun

I can't race next weekend and I'm kinda bummed about it.

A friend took some pics and a video but still waiting for them to be sent to me. We didn't get a video of my faster laps unfortunately. I'll post them up when I get them.

scrambler

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 11:04:16 AM »
Here is a link to the video. I really wish we had a video of the faster laps. I might be able to get some much better video in the coming weeks. I have a friend that has a really nice digital video camera and also has one of those GoPro cameras that we plan to mount on the bike during the race.

Here are a couple of pictures.

rocketman

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
Nice work Kevin!  Great job keeping us posted on your progress with the pics and videos. The tweaking you're doing now with your jetting and gearing will make all the world of difference. Gearing is critical,finding that delicate balance between running out on the straits and still having enough bottom left to pull you out of the turns. It can drive you crazy till you figure it out,and finding gearing can be tuff. Back in the day,we ended up using Nixon quick change "knock off" style hubs in order to solve the supply problem,so the ratios could be more widely split. I still run them on my Rickman and a couple of the Bultaco's and plan on using them on my own 175/200 project and maybe on the 350. I don't know whats readily available today,but its well worth looking into.  Mark.

Offline Jeff Bar

• Expert Registered Bridgestone Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Pretty cool, seeing someone riding a Stone.

Jeff Bar

Offline Toystoretom

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
That is just nuts! The cold weather causes me all sorts of pain just normally, but if I wiped out doing that you would have to call 911 for sure  ;D

The bike sounds good, it's got a little bit of a snarl to it.

I have no idea, but did different 175's have different size sprockets on the back wheel? Maybe dirt bike sprockets could be machined to fit? I just looked at my 175's and the GTR's and it looks like the GTR's are a little bigger and both bolt on..... possibly they might swap out with no hassles.
I have a tilt wheel for more headroom!

scrambler

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »
I think I have the jetting down. Now its on to the gearing. The 175 runs a 428 chain and the GTR runs a larger size. 530? If I switched them both I might be able to come up with something if I switched to the larger chain but I might have clearance issues as the 428 is already pretty close with the 4.00 x 18 tires. I need to check out all my other 175/200's because one of them might just have what I need.

If you thought it sounded good in that video you should have heard it during my second run. I had a friend with and he said there was a night and day difference. I'm no longer hesitant to let the RPM's fly. I also trusted the tires alot more and was able to make much tighter turns at speed.

Fun stuff.

I'll have some better video in a couple of weeks.

scrambler

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
Got to do some more racing today. Once again I had no one to run against in my class. I was asked if I wanted to run in the 450 class so I decided what the heck, why not. Well I got lapped. My biggest problem is that I'm not geared low enough and I'm a bit slow off the line. Today was the 1/2 mile track and I pretty much finished one full lap behind. Not all that bad considering they have over twice the displacement of my 175.

The bike ran flawlessly. I had the throttle pegged WIDE OPEN from start to finish. Didn't even let off going into the turns. I'm in 3rd gear the whole time. I'm not sure if shifting into 4th would be beneficial or not. I should have just tried it but I thought I had a good thing going. The only bad thing is that when I would want to shift is also when I want to be getting my foot on the ice.

No pictures today unfortunately.

Next weekend is the short 1/4 mile oval.

Does anybody have a 50T sprocket or something similar that will fit? I have NOS and used parts to trade.

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »

Does anybody have a 50T sprocket or something similar that will fit? I have NOS and used parts to trade.

I have an aluminum 48T, last used on my 175 flattracker in the 60's. The teeth are good. The center is somewhat modified as it is bolted to an adapter for a brakeless hub, but should still bolt right up to a 4-bolt BS175 drive hub.  If you have the 6 bolt drive (your photos look like you do), it will take a little machining (bolt holes and groove in the back).  If  you want it, PM your address and it'll be in the mail on Monday.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN
BS175 Roadracer. BS200RS, BS350 GTR

scrambler

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »

I have an aluminum 48T, last used on my 175 flattracker in the 60's. The teeth are good. The center is somewhat modified as it is bolted to an adapter for a brakeless hub, but should still bolt right up to a 4-bolt BS175 drive hub.  If you have the 6 bolt drive (your photos look like you do), it will take a little machining (bolt holes and groove in the back).  If  you want it, PM your address and it'll be in the mail on Monday.

Yep I have a 6 bolt. Is it a 428 sprocket?

I'm going to take one more look through my bikes again and see if I can't come up with something. If I don't find anything I might be hitting you up.

thanks

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
Yes, it's for 428 chain.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

scrambler

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
I found a 45T 6 bolt. Maybe I will give that a try first as I can just volt it right on. Current gearing is 14/42. 14 was the smallest front that BS made as far as I know. I have smaller front sprockets from a Yamaha that would fit I think but the way the sprocket is retained the 14 I have on there is about the smallest that will fit with that retainer. The Yamaha sprockets were meant to be retained by a nut.

3 teeth up on the rear is about the equivalent to dropping a tooth on the front.

Current ratio - 42/14 = 3
45/14 = 3.2
42/13 = 3.2
48/14 = 3.4

Offline OldSwartout

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
I have a 13 T front sprocket which you can have if you want.  It uses a modified retainer. You have to cut off two ears and just use one bolt to retain it.  You could use a snapring to retain the front sprocket on your ice racer due to the relatively slow speeds, but that won't work on a street bike or road racer. At the higher output speeds a snapring will open up due to centrifugal force and probably come off.  CB160 sprockets will also fit. 

You can get rear sprocket blanks from Sprocket Specialties, but you'll need to do your own machining, although I think they will do machining if you give them dimensions.
Karl Swartout
Mooresville, IN

scrambler

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »
I thought about a snapring but thought it would allow the sprocket to move towards the engine case and seal. I just took a closer look and I see that the splines for the sprocket taper and would prevent that. I might have a 13T that might just work.

scrambler

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
So I found a Yamaha 13T 428 sprocket that fits the 175 shaft. Its a Yamaha 93822-13024 in case anybody wants to know. I was able to fit 3 snap rings into the spot where the original retainer was.

So I ran the numbers though a gearing calculator and I "think" its a pretty close to the actual speeds I'm getting. Close enough I guess.

Left side is what I am going to change to and the right is what I have now.

On the 1/2 mile track I was wide open on the straights and even all the way though the corners in 3rd gear. With the changes I can get off the line a little better and then use 4th as my go to gear and hopefully pick up about 4 mph.

On the 1/4 mile track I was in 2nd the whole time. Corners were tight so I was letting off a bit but the bike was topping out quick in the straights. 3rd was just to high and I was out of the powerband coming out of the corners. By the time it wound back up it was time to throttle down for the corners. With the gearing change I should be able to use 3rd. Hopefully its still low enough to pull me through the turns but the 6 mph gain on the straights would be nice.

Am I boring anyone yet?

paul

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »
Good Luck

Offline Gonzo

• Full Bridgestone Member
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
Definitely not bored here - I'm loving this thread.

Have you thought about changing the gear lever over to the RH side? It may help.

scrambler

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
When I first started building the bike I thought about coming up with some sort of linkage to move the shift lever to the right side. It was going to complicate things quite a bit so I decided not to do it. If only it was as easy as the 350.

scrambler

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
GREAT action shot.

Ok guys, this is about the best I could ever ask for. I got some great on-board footage of the rabid chainsaw this weekend. A friend of mine let me borrow his GoPro camera. He pretty much chronicled the day in the life of an amateur ice racer.

http://www.everydayriding.org/2011/02/ice-racing-in-bloomer-wi-on-lake-como.html

The on-board footage can be seen here. Listen to the little BS scream.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverydayRiding#p/u/0/utR7hYyBWAo

This is so much freakin' fun.... I hear rumor I might have someone to run against next weekend.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:11:58 PM by scrambler »

Offline BS Mechanic

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing that!  What a great way to spend the otherwise off season for riding!!!!  Makes me want to go out and start screwing studs in my tires.

paul

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
sounds good

Gallery

Views:221
Comments (0)
By: Jon West

Views:1363
Comments (0)
By: rwgibbon